Watchout 5 and successful surround/multichannel audio setup

macman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,

ECHO Audiofire8 works well with WATCHOUT, Windows 7 up to 8 channels. This seems to be the maximum number of channels achievable in Win7, at the moment.

WATCHOUT relies on the soundcards DirectSound/WDM-driver for this, not ASIO.

/jonas

Is it still the case a eighteen months on from this thread that Watchout relies on DirectSound/WDM driver and doesn't use ASIO ?

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Just as a comment - would it be interesting for the rest of the users if I test our system with Dante Virtual Sound Card ?

I have a license and a equipment I can test with, I think we can use more than 8 channels in WO because right now I have 16 channels for another software

Best regards,

Just another product to add to the mix.  we've successfully used an HT|Omega eClaro 7.1 sound card (~$180 from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271006&Tpk=eclaro) in a theater.  we run 6 tracks of audio and one of LTC to lock our lighting and some other devices.  it uses unbalanced RCA connections on the output.

been working for a year in this mode.  have to use EX-WAV files as Jonas and others defined earlier.

we have found some issues where the driver will 'crunch' all the tracks into the left/right channels every so often -- which is highly annoying when one of the tracks is LTC!  to work around it, we simply make the playhead never leave the audio track (never unload from memory) and do reboots with a tech team able to listen and fix it before the theater is on-line with the public.

Matt

Denver Museum of Nature & Science

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Jonas said "ECHO AudioFire and PreSonus products has been tested and used",so i use a PreSonus AudioBox 1818 with my WO5 WIN7 64bit.

I use Nuendo to play a 7.1 audio fie,it's OK.But it doesn't work with WO5.

Anybody can show me how to setup the 7.1 with PreSonus?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Just as a comment - would it be interesting for the rest of the users if I test our system with Dante Virtual Sound Card ?

I have a license and a equipment I can test with, I think we can use more than 8 channels in WO because right now I have 16 channels for another software

Best regards,

Hi Nninja,

yes,i would be pleased to hear the results of your tests.

Mathieu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

what would you think about this solution to play multiwav files:

Arvus Digital — HDMI-2A 8 channel AES/EBU Digital Audio Converter

could it work? or is it the same WDM drivers problem?

Thanks

Mathieu

It could work, it simply transfers the driver issue to an unknown third party.

i.e. if you can find a WDM driver that takes the WATCHOUT sound playback

and integrates the audio into the computer's HDMI video output,

then I suppose that box would take you the rest of the way.

Finding a stable driver to do that is still the key.

Hi Nninja,

yes,i would be pleased to hear the results of your tests.

Mathieu

Hi!

Unfortunately I couldn't get it work. With the new DVS with WDM support I can achieve 8in/8out in Windows, but DVS is shown as 4 single sound cards so I cannot make it work as a multichannel card in WO.

Maybe in WO ver6 there will be ASIO support ;)

I've been looking at the characteristics of the audio interface "TC electronic Konnect 48". Does anyone has tried to use 8 channels?

According to the manual the WDM driver can be set to surround mode.

This is the link:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/218482/tc_electronic_studio_konnekt_48_manual_english.pdf

hi,

for information, we reached to play 6 tracks multiwav file directly at the outputs of a motherboard (ASUS P9X79).

but not the 8 tracks multiwav file.

Mathieu

Out of curiosity, did you attempt to remap channels 7 and 8 to higher channel numbers, i.e. 9 and 10, etc.

I have seen situations where the last two channels map differently and this has been a solution.

The hardware is still limited to eight channels of outputs, it is just some drivers interpret the higher channel numbers differently.

Ahh, yes, thanks for the reminder. Win 7 and Win XP interpret channel assignments differently.

i.e. even Microsoft can not agree with themselves on the "standard".

Quickest way to test is with a set of mono .wav files,

each assigned to a different channel using the Channel Assignment Tool.

Assign a mono .wav file to each of the eighteen output channels available in the tool above.

You will likely find eight that work.

• 11 months later...

We've been successfully using ECHO Audiofire8's for 4 years on Windows 7 machines.  I don't know if they are making 8 channel boxes anymore. 

Unfortunately, the Echo AudioFire interfaces are no longer in production. Work great if you can get a hold of them.

We have switched to FocusRite FireWire interfaces when Echo stopped making theirs.