Problem using WATCHOUT Display with Windows 8.1

mayunta

Hi,

We are currently using multiple computers with windows 7 64 bit and everything is perfect.

We are testing equipment for use as windows 8.1 Displays watchout, but all have the same problem.

In the test we have only loaded a text, but so does any content.

In the control computer we get the following message.

"Operating system error: -2147467259; unspecified error; Too complex effects"

any suggestions?

Thanks

Just curious, why are you planning to use Win 8, instead of Win 7? Our current tests has shown, that you don't get any extra benefits, except, as you have already experienced, an increased possibility of errors. In my opinion, Win 8 is an OS designed for home users, and not for production equipment. Win 7 & 8 have almost the same Microsoft time scope, which means that it will be supported, as minimum, until 2020. And that goes for both OS systems. We have rolled back som upgrades to Win 8, since we experienced more errors than advantages with Win 8, and all the colleagues, in different company's and business areas, I know, are doing the same, staying with Win 7. This is of course only my opinion, but it's shared with many others.

Best regards Christian

Yo

Lagos, Nigeria, 66 hours to showtime.

I'm running a system on WIndows 7 with no issues. As FOH is 70meters from screen, sometimes I program with a laptop closer to stage. This laptop is a brand new high range HP with Windows 8.1. prepared last minute and supposed to be my backup prod PC, running the show in paralel offline. What I can see programming on it is very very slow caching and updating - on 1gb cat5 network- other network operations are ok and I have no problem if I do the same with an older laptop running W7. Maybe compatibility between 7 and 8 in the same net? I'm using WO 5.5. Does 5.5.1 has some special help for me? Windows 8 esists and it is in all new computers, having a prod PC running 8 happens. Please share experience.

Yo

Lagos, Nigeria, 66 hours to showtime.

I'm running a system on WIndows 7 with no issues. As FOH is 70meters from screen, sometimes I program with a laptop closer to stage. This laptop is a brand new high range HP with Windows 8.1. prepared last minute and supposed to be my backup prod PC, running the show in paralel offline. What I can see programming on it is very very slow caching and updating - on 1gb cat5 network- other network operations are ok and I have no problem if I do the same with an older laptop running W7. Maybe compatibility between 7 and 8 in the same net?

- I highly doubt that. This is most likely "prepared last minute" issue, not a compatibility case.

I'm using WO 5.5. Does 5.5.1 has some special help for me?

- Not specifically, but I would use the latest version, if in trouble. Maybe not install it in the last minute, though...

Windows 8 esists and it is in all new computers, having a prod PC running 8 happens.

- We are fully aware that Windows 8/8.1 exists.

And WATCHOUT 5.5 onwards supports it, but I would stay on Windows 7 for Display computers, if I have a choice.

As others mentioned earlier, there are absolutely no benefits for WATCHOUT use.

Please share the experience.

/jonas

No, for the moment, we tested several notebooks to see if it works.

But in all those windows 8.1 does not work

Still we have not tested on dedicated computers that have installed windows 7 64 bits

Someone has checked Displays with windows 8.1 installed?

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same error.

One off the display computers got faulty after the airplane transport and to replace it at last minute I bought a laptop to run a single display.

Same error showing, cant work it arround.

My live show is with na output down....

Any help?

OS - Windows 8.1

WO - 5.5.1

I have tested WIndows 8.1 in a real display computer with Z77 and core i7. 

And with some tweaks, it works. 

So it can be a lack of resources on the computer hardware. I can tell it works in the display computer  and I have used it in a laptop as production computer with 8.1 

I have never used a laptop as a display computer. 

Best regards

Adela

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I found the solution for this problem.

After all the replys i start messing around with laptops to try to find the cause of this. I have tested new laptops with nvidia and amd graphic cards.

The problem only occurs with Watchout Players. The Watchout Production runs with no problems.

So,first i thought it would be some incompability related with Windows 8.1 and Directx 9.

After googling and tested based on that i found no trouble with Directx 9 and Windows 8.1, but when i cross referenced what Jonas said about the error might be base on the Intel Integrated Graphics, it all started to make sense.

The new graphic cards are based on a hibrid system to optimise the batery life:

- AMD Enduro

- ATI Optimus

This as both of the brands say will work seamless as you operate with your laptop, switching between the Intel Integrated Graphics and your graphic card as you switch between programs.

And this is our cause of the problem.

Both AMD and ATI software doesnt recognizes Watchout Display as a high gpu program, so by default when you lauch the program it will run base on the Intel Integrated Graphics...

To resolve this problem you have to go to the graphic card control panel and in the 3d options you have to force it to run with the graphic card that your laptop is equipped.

In some versions you cant tell your graphic card to run "all" programs like this, so the best practice is to force it to run Watchout with the graphic card. You can achieve that in the same menu by browsing your hard drive for Watchout and selecting it.

As far as i can tell, theres is no switch on or off for this function.

I will update a couple of print screens guiding of the process on next monday.

I Hope that this can help some of you in the future.

One sugestion for this:

- Can Dataton comunicate with Amd and Nvidia with this problem and ask then to insert Watchout into there list of programs that need their graphic card active as it happens with video games and other programs ?

1) - as I said earlier, this is NOT a WATCHOUT issue, but a setup issue.

2) - our strong recommendations still stands, do NOT use any laptop or PC with integrated or hybrid graphics, as a base for a Display computer.

3) - re: One suggestion for this: - Can Dataton communicate with Amd and Nvidia with this problem and ask then to insert Watchout into there list of programs that need their graphic card active as it happens with video games and other programs ?

Neither AMD nor NVidia cares much for a small program like WATCHOUT, unfortunately.

WATCHOUT on the other hand NEEDS and relies on real, discrete graphics, so please see 2) above.

/jonas

• 3 months later...

Hello,

do you know how you will resolve this problem of compatibility with new integrated graphic processor and discrete graphic processor on laptops.

because all new laptop have this setup.

BR

Julien

As has been said above, this is a computer preparation issue.

Integrated graphic processor and discrete graphic processor on laptops is not all that new,

just becoming more mainstream.

Been running a production laptop with such a setup (Intel / nVidia) for three years with Win 7 and no issues at all.

Work with your hardware vendor to determine where your comptuer preparation is awry.

• 2 weeks later...

Julien,

please see the discussion above.

This is not an WATCHOUT issue, but a hardware and setup issue.

- Running WATCHOUT on a laptop as a Display computer, is a challenge.

- Running WATCHOUT on a MacBook Pro, in BootCamp, is a challenge.

- Adding Windows 8.1 does not help. Why?

See jfk's comment above:

"Been running a production laptop with such a setup (Intel / nVidia) for three years with Win 7 and no issues at all.

Work with your hardware vendor to determine where your computer preparation is awry"

/jonas

I get the same error, asked the Support but they said "... strange ..."

With Windows 8 it was not the case.

Now I think it is because I have updated to 8.1 ???

Martin Pfeifer

No, it's not Windows 8.1, it's tweaking the system NOT properly according to our guidelines, I think.

Windows 7 is still preferred/recommended for a Display PC, as mentioned above.

/jonas

• 1 year later...