6 output graphic card

lloc

FirePro W9000, 6144 MB GDDR5, 6x mini DP, 1x SDI

FirePro W9100, 16384 MB GDDR5, 6x mini DP, 1x SDI SDI

Radeon R9 280X - 3GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - 2 x DVI, 4 x DisplayPort

Or any AMD with two mini-Displayport and two MST Hubs

Agree with TomT here, some comments below.

"Radeon R9 280X - 3GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - 2 x DVI, 4 x DisplayPort"

Most likely out of production now, too.

"Or any AMD with two mini-Displayport and two MST Hubs"

I would like to add that they still need to be reasonable powerful (ie R9 series) and preferably have 2-3GB of graphics RAM.

/jonas

So if we want 6 outputs that can handle 6 same size 1080P videos, it's just a matter of finding a powerful enough Eyefinity graphics card with two mini-Display ports and then plugging 2 MST hubs (that have 3 ports each) into the mini-display ports?

Any down side to using the MST Hubs?  Any particular ones recommended?  I saw where jfk and Showsage were doing some testing back in March, but I wasn't sure how conclusive the situation was at the moment.

FirePro W9000, 6144 MB GDDR5, 6x mini DP, 1x SDI

FirePro W9100, 16384 MB GDDR5, 6x mini DP, 1x SDI SDI

What you mean by 1x SDI ? Im using W9000 and theres no SDI output.

Any down side to using the MST Hubs? 

For watchout all the 3 output from MST are treated as 1, so no edge blending, no geometry, no color correction.

There's probably more, but I can't see it now.

"For watchout all the 3 output from MST are treated as 1, so no edge blending, no geometry, no color correction.

There's probably more, but I can't see it now."

Sorry Alex, that is not correct info.

At DisplayPort 1.2 and a MST hub, all outputs works as separate outputs.

This is tried and tested.

/jonas

@ Jonas,

when using a MST-Hub no need of active adapters, because the MST is active itself. Tested. But maybe active Adapters are better i didn´t tested it.

And you´re right; with DP 1.2 and higher the outputs of an mst work as separate outputs.

@ Lloyd

I tested it with : http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produkte/leser.de/product/radeon-r9-280x-royalqueen.html

And http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produkte/leser.de/product/mst-hub-1-3.html

@ Ramos

sorry, wrong copy and paste, no SDI just 6 x miniDp

The Club 3D Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub DisplayPort 1-3

we have tested with a FirePro W7000 did work, with a very important caveat.

It was not completely stable.

It would be inconsistent on activating all outputs through boot cycles.

Most of the times it worked as expected - but not all the time.

Sometimes an output would randomly fail to appear.

So does it work - yes, sort of. It is reliable - no, not yet.

caveat emptor

The Club 3D Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub DisplayPort 1-3

we have tested with a FirePro W7000 did work, with a very important caveat.

It was not completely stable.

It would be inconsistent on activating all outputs through boot cycles.

Most of the times it worked as expected - but not all the time.

Sometimes an output would randomly fail to appear.

So does it work - yes, sort of. It is reliable - no, not yet.

caveat emptor

can you ellaborate a bit about not being stable.

just in boot sequences or was it unstable when up and running?

causing any crashes or something less funny?

cheers,

Robert

@TomT,

"when using a MST-Hub no need of active adapters, because the MST is active itself.

Tested. But maybe active Adapters are better i didn´t tested it."

We tested this too, and it seems that we could not get full SL DVI resolution with passive adapters, which should be supported"

3 times 1024x768 was OK, but 3 times 1920x1080 where not.

Tested with R9 270X graphics cards of two types and Club3D/EVGA MST-hubs.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?pid=2043

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9270XDC24GD5/

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mst-hub-1-3.html

http://www.evga.com/products/Product.aspx?pn=200-DP-1301-L1

This might account for some of the stability issues some of you experienced.

Found this note on Accell's website on their MST-hub: http://www.accellcables.com/products/ultraav-displayport-1-2-mst-multi-display-hub

• Testing has found a lack of compatibility with some systems when converting using DVI or HDMI adapters.

Recommended for use with DisplayPort monitors

Seems like they are not totally confident in that it will work stable with DP adapters to "legacy" graphics outputs.

So testing is important, you mileage may vary here.

/jonas

• 1 month later...

A few questions regarding eyefinity 6 with WO:

(haven't built a WO system in 3 years so I'm catching up)

I see many people getting Fire Pros (w9000), whereas I remember WO requiring only very basic graphic cards as the processing was performed on CPU rather than GPU, is there an advantage in using a much more expensive w9000 card?

When using 2 mini-displayport to MST hubs are there frame locking issues between outputs/hubs, different latency between the two hubs or any timming issue vs using a 6 out FirePro (where I expect the 6 out to be frame locked)? (waving in the blend area because of subtle timming differences in blend area where the 2 hub overlap, live input showing different lag depending on the hub displaying the PiP)

Basically, is there any advantage in using the FirePro for an eyefinity6 setup? I want to build a beast to drive 6 outputs, money at this point is no object but the advantage need to be real and all output need to be driven by one display computer.

thanks much!

regards

A modest, but entirely adequate card for a system with six outputs is the FirePro W600.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-display-wall/w600#

I have started to apply them as 6 output Radeon cards replacing the wellknown HD7970 are practically non existent at the moment.

Prices are comparable with some Radeon models I used before.

Note that this card will NOT combine with a S400 sync board!

regards,

Jan

A few questions regarding eyefinity 6 with WO:

(haven't built a WO system in 3 years so I'm catching up)

I see many people getting Fire Pros (w9000), whereas I remember WO requiring only very basic graphic cards as the processing was performed on CPU rather than GPU, is there an advantage in using a much more expensive w9000 card?

If you're talking about a "beast" in terms of 6-output graphics cards, then AMD FirePro W9100 is it.

It supports up to 6 4K-outputs with 16GB GDDR5 memory.

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/9100

The other end of the scale would be the AMD FirePro W600, mentioned by Jan above.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-display-wall/w600

Consumer 6-output cards is non-existent, at least for now, ASUS AMD Radeon cards were almost

the only choice here, but does not seem to make them anymore. All seem to rely on MST-hubs for 

more than 4 outputs. A 4-output server might also be a wise choice, in terms of having a bit more headroom.

Always use Active MDP/DP-adapters and for safety, EDID Managers like DVI Parrot, for every output.

When using 2 mini-displayport to MST hubs are there frame locking issues between outputs/hubs, different latency between the two hubs or any timing issue vs using a 6 out FirePro (where I expect the 6 out to be frame locked)?

The 6-output FirePro W9100 (or any FirePro W7/8/9 card),  is NOT frame-locked without a S400 sync card added.

NVidia Quadro K5200/K4200 can also be frame-locked via their GSync card.

It goes without saying that consumer grade cards cannot be frame-locked.

(waving in the blend area because of subtle timing differences in blend area where the 2 hub overlap, live input showing different lag depending on the hub displaying the PiP)

With MST-hubs you're on your own a bit, it should/might work, how reliable over time is another matter.

As always, thorough testing is required, with the hardware of choice.

Basically, is there any advantage in using the FirePro for an eyefinity6 setup? I want to build a beast to drive 6 outputs, money at this point is no object but the advantage need to be real and all output need to be driven by one display computer.

Please see above.

/jonas 

... I see many people getting Fire Pros (w9000), whereas I remember WO requiring only very basic graphic cards as the processing was performed on CPU rather than GPU,

That is not necessarily correct. Depends a lot on content and programming. The GPU does a lot of the work.

reference: Mechanics of WATCHOUT

is there an advantage in using a much more expensive w9000 card?

Yes there is.

When using 2 mini-displayport to MST hubs are there frame locking issues between outputs/hubs, different latency between the two hubs or any timming issue 

No synch issues with two MST hubs driving six outputs that we have observed in our testing.

We have been testing with a FirePro W7000, Windows 7 SP1 64 bit, WATCHOUT 5.5.1

and another system with a FirePro W8100, Windows 8.1 64 bit and WATCHOUT 5.5.2b

The W7000 is a bit underpowered for six outputs and there is a noticeable degradation in image quality driving six.

The W8100 system does not show this degradation, although under prolonged testing,

it appears to be overheating.

BTW We recently received a new model of MST Hubs (StarTech),

and this version is passing durability testing so far (Club 3D failed durability testing). 

Will update again when the testing is completed.

I have tested the EVGA hub, with no troubles with active adapters. 

With W7000 with R9X270, R9X280.

With the test and captures I normally do, I have not seen any problem... just with the w7000 one can not use the EDID function in the hub side which seams obvious. 

Hope this helps.

Regards

Adela

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

No, using an MST hub till not allow you to go beyond the maximum of 6 displays per computer. Besides, many MST hubs introduce their own challenges, often complicating the matter of getting several displays to "behave" reliably when connected to one computer.

Hello mike
And with two plates with three outputs, stability improves?

With two AMD RADEON RX480 for example?