Watchout cable setup to projector

DonD

I primarily provide the media for the shows I work on, and have not been involve the setup of the Watchout and 2 converged- 12kw projectors. In the past I always let the rental company handle the Watchout setup.

We will be buying a Watchout system of 2 WatchPax2 and production computer instead of renting. Other than the basic layout in the Watchout 5.2 manual that shows basic layout of cabling I haven’t found any other info about connecting up the system.

From what I can tell:

1-Production Computer connects to the Network switcher via Ethernet Cable.  

2-Network switcher then connects to the Watchpax2 via Ethernet Cable.  

3-WatchPax2 connects to the 12kw Projectors (display device) via an Adapter Mini DP-DVI Female out of the “Mini Display Port”

4-Mini DP-DVI adapter then to cable to the projector

Both of the time we use a doubled, stacked projectors for a converged single image. Does this mean we would use the second Mini Display Port and Mini DP-DVI adapter for the second projector?

I see people converge the two images using a grid to line-up the pattern as one. Can you converge the grid patterns using Watchout or is this done in projector setup?

Thank you,

DonD

edits in gray

From what I can tell:

1-Production Computer connects to the Network switcher via Ethernet Cable.  

2-Network switcher then connects to the Watchpax2 via Ethernet Cable.  

3-WatchPax2 connects to the 12kw Projectors (display device) via an Adapter Mini DP-DVI Female out of the “Mini Display Port”

4-Mini DP-DVI adapter then to cable to the projector

all that is correct ...

Both of the time we use a doubled, stacked projectors for a converged single image. Does this mean we would use the second Mini Display Port and Mini DP-DVI adapter for the second projector?

Yes, that would be preferred.  

I see people converge the two images using a grid to line-up the pattern as one. Can you converge the grid patterns using Watchout

Yes, using two outputs would provide you the ability to independently converge

each projector using WATCHOUT's geometry control.

You therefore create a display object (rectangle on the stage) for each projector.

Use Stage Tiers to create a new tier, and then place one projector on each of your two tiers

at the exact same stage co-ordinates. (maybe name the displays top and bottom for clarity)

Overlapped stage displays (projectors) only blend when they are on the same tier.

So for double stacked single converged projectors you want to place each on its own tier.

(If both were one the same tier, each would run at 50% opacity to create an un-needed blend.  ;) )

or is this done in projector setup?

Thank you,

DonD

If the projector setup provides that function, that is an alternate option.

Should you choose to use a projector's geometry functions instead of WATCHOUT's,

then I would recommend using a single WATCHPAX output / single stage display object

and a 1x2 DVI splitter / distribution amp to feed the two converged projectors.