Watchout over internet

jeanluc

Hello!

I would like to be able to monitor (or control a show) without being physically on site.

My first idea is to install a remote control software like Teamviever or VNC on the producer with an internet connexion so that I can acces it.

But I read it is not recommanded :

Do NOT use/instal VNC, LogMeIn or similar remote control software, as it will interfere with stable WATCHOUT playback

So how could it be possible?

Keeping the producer "at home" and connecting the display to the internet?

Thank you for your help.

Jean-Luc

I have done exactly what you are trying to do.  I set up VNC on my programming machine (make sure to use a different flavor than Dataon uses, I tend to use tightvnc).  Then you can VNC in to your programming box.  It even works to use the internal vnc in WO to then access the display machines (a double vnc).

Of course, this violates the standard don't do it protocol you reference above.  I was using this for a test installation, not a live show.  As always, test test test and ymmv.

steve

Thank you for your answers,

@Alex : Creating a VPN seems hard to me since I may not have total control over the hardware internet link installed on site.

I was thinking about a solution like steve did. I've made several tests these days and can confirm it seems to work for what I need.
I precise that I'm not trying to develop a project over the internet.
I just want to be able to start/stop a show, which could be automated,
Check is everything works fine, which should not be necessary.
and to restart a computer in case of problem, which should never happen!

I use three computers, WO display, WO producer and a laptop with two network interfaces (ethernet to WO, WiFi to the internet).
The only violation of Dataton rules is that i Installed a kind of VNC on the producer.
I acces first to the laptop, then to the producer and, if needed, to the player (a triple vnc!).

I'll continue my tests.

Jean-Luc

• Dataton Partner

Using VNC on a production computer is usually not such a problem. TightVNC is a good choice and you should select different ports.

On the display computer any VNC server can cause problems since WATCHPOINT has it's own VNC server built-in using the standard VNC ports.

Rainer Beddig

On the display computer any VNC server can cause problems since WATCHPOINT has it's own VNC server built-in using the standard VNC ports.

Not quite. Unless you give the "Remote Access" command in the production software, the VNC server isn't running on the display computer, so no VNC port will be in use. The included VNC server is started on demand by the  "Remote Access" command.

Mike

• 4 years later...

Any change on this since 2014 ?

I am working on a situation where I should be able to acces a WO display on site, with a WO-Producer located at the office. (no producers on site)

We're using a router on witch I can connect with a VPN, I'm able to ping the WO-Display, and the Test Connection of Watchout is OK, but as I'm trying to go online, the display turns black and I have a message : "Network Error; Display Computer : No response".

Both are running Watchout 6.3.1, and work when I'm in local.

I’ve done this a lot having Teamviewer on the Production Machine only, especially on a museum installation, and I haven’t had any issues. This is usually when the Producer is a laptop that is using the wi-fi to connect to the internet, but the hard wired lan connection to the display computer stays local and separate.  I usually keep Teamviewer on my rental laptops to turn on if a client needs help with something. It’s a life saver.