mov vs mp4 - does file extension matter?

dbengali

File extension doesn't matter. Note, however, that a MOV file may contain additional data/tracks that could interrfere with playback, while the MP4 standard is a more strict subset of the MOV file format, thereby avoiding any sich additional data. But in most cases when just exporting a MOV file, there will be no difference.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Dear sir,

Hi i need to know what is the limit of a video content can be played by a control server? Can it play a pixel count of 8000x720? Without splitting the video.. to be brief if am doing a wide screen of 100x9 feet and the width pixels goes more than 8000 pixels, is it okay to make content in full size? or do we have to split it.. what is the limit of resolution in a video or jpeg a watchout production server can support?

Thanks and regards

Chris

• Dataton Partner

Hi Chris,

I don't believe Watchout has a limitation with regards to pixelcount. If you can encode it into a file format which is supported by WO, it will work. However, many file formats have their limitation.

• Dataton Partner

Thanks Mike. Didn't know that. Can you elaborate on the subject? Does 8k mean it supports all resolutions gathered under 8K as found on wiki? Is it limited to the horizontal pixelcount or the combined pixelcount? (Did not find many formats that supported a res above 4000pix width but I have used 8000x1200 res under v5.5.2 last year).

Can you define which codecs and encoders support 8K res and its limitation in pixelcount (i.e times 8 as with MPEG2).

Thanks in advance for the insight.

What I mean by 8k support is that the maximum size of any piece of media that's not a plain still image is now 8192 by 8192 pixels, up from 4096 x 4096 in previous version. That's of particular interest when texturing 3D objects, I would think, although it also may have implications on video playback, as it increases the maximum size of a single video. Codec support and hardware requirements to play such a large video is another issue, though. 

Mike

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

File extension doesn't matter, because both MOV and MP4 don't have any real effect on encoded video quality. They just act like containers. 

P.S. The choice between MOV and MP4 is quite simple, based on the place where you need to play the resulting videos. Ideally, if you're using Mac, MOV is quite safe and efficient;However, to play on non-Apple devices, MP4 proves to be a much better option. Of course, you can choose to convert MOV to MP4 or vice verse with this easy-to-use DRmare Video Converter.

MP4 file follows that mov file format (it is subset of mov). if you have a mov file parser application, it can parse both mp4 file and mov, and you could also check what has been changed after it is converted from mov file to mp4. I assume that encoded data should stay same after conversion.

• 1 month later...

MOV files are used in QuickTime player, when we got MOV files, if we want to play MOV files on any players, convert MOV to MP4, mp4 files can be playered in almost all players.

1. Rename the MOV files directly on Windows

2. Use the QuickTime to convert MOV to MP4: just import MOV files to QuickTime, then setup the output format of MOV as MP4, export MOV files.

3. Use the MOV to MP4 converter to convert MOV to MP4 in batch without quality loss.

• 5 months later...

The container format usually doesn't matter. Both MOV and MP4 are container formats. However, MOV is a superset of MP4 (i.e., MP4 is based on the MOV file format, originally developed by Apple). An MP4 file is essentially a MOV file with some restrictions and (typically) containing H.264 video and possibly AAC audio. So if you have a MOV file containing video/audio with those codecs, it is essentially an MP4 file.

More on these and other container formats here:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-video-file-types-e-g-mp4-mov-avi

Mike