random crash

hashema

Hello,

I've created a very simple show using couple of images and effects but when I go online the display crashes every now and then in a very random way. I did my best to try to trace anything like specific image or specific time but I can't find any specific cause.

when display crashed I get Watchout logo on the screen and then I have to use alt+tab to move away from display agent and then alt-tab again to come back to it and press ctrl+w to go full screen to be able to go online again.

I've searched the forum for similar cases but I couldn't find solution. 

display machine is is a windows 7 PC and I've done tweaking. 

I don't get any error or any indication on production pc either.

just wonder if you can give me some hints to follow the cause?

Regards, 

Hashem

Sounds strange, this normally works on a properly configured DisplayPC.

Specs on this content? Size in pixels? Format?

What effects?

"display machine is is a windows 7 PC and I've done tweaking."

All tweaking or some?

If this isn't working for you, please send a small example show that exhibits this behavior to support@dataton.com.

/jonas

Hello,

I am having the same issue. We are using version 5.5.1. We also followed all the tweaking settings. The issue is not consistent. The only thing I can think of is we start up the system and just park it on the timeline and after about 15 minutes the display computers go to the the WO screen with no ip address. We are using 2 display computers that are playing a hd video that is edge blended. The computers are Dell vostro Intel core 2 duo. Not the most powerful machines but we are not pushing them hard.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

B

...  The computers are Dell vostro Intel core 2 duo. Not the most powerful machines but we are not pushing them hard.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

B

I forgot to mention that we are using windows 7 enterprise edition. I work for a university and that is what is provided for us. Would that cause any issues?

You did not indicate if the Win 7 tweak list has been run. If not, then there are numerous background tasks that can cause crashes. Including Remote Management if your IT guys have put it on there.

Of more concern is the age of the hardware. The hardware pre-exists Windows 7, so win 7 drivers become a concern.

If any of your hardware drivers say the source is Microsoft (i.e. a generic driver from the OS install), that is a likely problem.

among other things, be sure to check hard disc controller, disc drives, USB controllers, etc.

Even if those controllers are on the motherboard, they should show the motherboard vendor as a source.

Simple keyboards are not a concern, fancy keyboards with added features could be an issue

without the proper driver. (Even a WATCHPAX can be taken down by a fancy keyboard).

Using 2009 hardware with Windows 7 is always a challenge, and is strongly NOT recommended.

WATCHOUT 5, released 2011, relies on that the proper hardware resources are available, including updated drivers.

Applying the Windows 7 Tweaklist in full, is a requirement for stable playback, too.

Lack of graphics video memory and inadequate DirectX/Direct3D-support, would be my guess here.

/jonas

Thanks Jonas. Would I be better off being on Windows xp or Vista instead of upgrading to Windows 7 and still using wo 5?

NO. WATCHOUT 5.5 and later must be windows 7 or windows 8.

You might get XP or Vista to kid of work, but random crashes would be pretty much expected in that case.

Or is the hardware just that outdated?

Probably. goes back to stability of drivers. Hardware that predates Win 7 rarely have drivers that are stable under windows 7+. I know we gave up trying to get old pre-Win 7 hardware to work with Win 7,

just to many problems like you describe.

I did everything I could think of but no chance... I believe problem should be Win 7 Enterprise edition that comes as OEM on workstations like HP or Dell... I guess Enterprise edition should be avoided

p.s. I'm using nVidia Quadro 4200... output resolution 4096 x 2160... I removed everything apart from some still high resolution pictures in a kind of slide show with some random transition in between. still I experience the same.

I did everything I could think of but no chance... I believe problem should be Win 7 Enterprise edition that comes as OEM on workstations like HP or Dell... I guess Enterprise edition should be avoided

I highly doubt that Windows 7 Enterprise is the primary source to your issues, but I might be wrong.

p.s. I'm using nVidia Quadro 4200... output resolution 4096 x 2160... I removed everything apart from some still high resolution pictures in a kind of slide show with some random transition in between. still I experience the same.

Does it work on any other output resolution?

The only thing left otherwise, is to compile the show not working and send it to support@dataton.com for evaluation.

/jonas

4k is still pioneering territory - the gpu and its drivers and their interaction with win os

all become sensitive at 4k

For example, when we were experiencing 4k crashing AMD suggested

that improvements in the graphics support of Win 8.1 was beneficial.

We have not confirmed that yet, we got Win 7 stable before we needed to conquer 8.1,

we continue to fight with 8.1 on the back burner.

My point is, there are a lot of unknown interactions in the 4k arena.

BTW This sounds a bit like the issue we saw with 4k resolutions

in our trade show booth at LDI 2013 (Nov).

reference: 4K Video Playback

Tell us more about the connection from the graphics card to the 4096 x 2160 display?

And out of curiosity, what kind of display is it?

I was thinking more about my situation. Sorry to keep piggy backin on this thread. I hope this isn't too confusing. I realize that I have old hardware working with Wid 7. But I am also using a Extron DVI 104-DVI to Fiber converter on the display machines going to two projectors. I recenlty had to reset the EDID information on the converters. Is there any way the the converter could be confusing the video card making Watchpoint crash?

Thanks,

B