External Projector Control Using Art-Net

martymcgee

Hi

I just purchased a new Panasonic PT-DZ13 video projector which has several options for control, one of those being Art-Net.

As I understand it, If WATCHOUT is configured to output DMX, it does so using Art-Net.  What I am trying to figure out is how to set up the system so that WATCHOUT will talk to the projector.  I'm not sure what IP address I should set the projector to. I believe, I've heard that Art-Net addresses need to begin with a 2 but I may be imagining that,

To be honest, I still don't fully understand the new method of naming computers instead of using IP addresses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If someone happens to have experience running this kind of set-up and would be willing to work with me one on one (Telephone Email, whatever) I would be happy to pay for their time.

Thanks in advance

Marty McGee

510-965-9965

marty@anarchi.com

I just purchased a new Panasonic PT-DZ13 video projector which has several options for control, one of those being Art-Net.

As I understand it, If WATCHOUT is configured to output DMX, it does so using Art-Net.  What I am trying to figure out is how to set up the system so that WATCHOUT will talk to the projector.

What projector parameters are you trying to control? There may be better options for control here than DMX, such as PJLink:

http://pjlink.jbmia.or.jp/english/

To be honest, I still don't fully understand the new method of naming computers instead of using IP addresses.

You may still use the old method of direct IP addressing. Many prefer that for traditional applications. The naming method has advantages in fixed installations, when using multiple identical clusters, or together with WATCHPAX.

Mike

HI Mike

Thanks for the reply and the link to the PJLink site.

I have used PJLink before to open and close the shutters on a different Panasonic.

When I did that, I had a lot of help from someone that was far more knowledgable than me.  

I still have the commands in the timeline of that show and I can kind of see how they were done but I could not duplicate doing that again on my own.

I know the information is all in the WATCHOUT manual but I think what someone with my technical skills needs is a step by step tutorial on how to build an output cue and get it into your show timeline.

in this case, the new projectors I purchased have a couple of very nice features. One of the main things I'd like to use is the shutter/dowser feature. PJLink only has the shutter open and shutter closed commands but the DMX/Art-Net control lets you close the shutters over time with 255 steps between fully open and fully closed.  That means the ability to have a 4 second fade of the video black instead of a sharp close (or open)  The other feature only available on Art-Net control is a lens memory feature.  The projector will store three preset lens memories that contain position, zoom and focus settings.  That allows you to use the projector for a large screen in front of the stage and then use it again for another smaller screen further upstage and to the right.  That feature alone could save using a second projector for the show.

So what I really need is either a tutorial on how to build outputs (if it exists) or someone who is experienced working with outputting DMX from WATCHOUT who is willing to teach me.  I am happy to pay for help if that's what it takes.

Thanks so much for your help and advice. I have attached a link to the projector manual if anyone would like to look at the available control features

Marty McGee

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/manuals/PT-DZ13KU_Operating_Manual.pdf

Hi Mike

I feel like I owe you an apology.  After sitting down at my machine with the manual open on another screen, I did find the instructions with all of the steps to create the output I need.

I haven't actually succeeded yet but I think I was a bit premature in criticizing the documentation  ;)