Unexpected Display Reconfiguration

QuinLoft

So I've been I'm running a show on 5.5.2 for about a month now with no problems until about two days ago. I'm pretty comfortable with Watchout and troubleshooting, but this one is really stumping me.

To start, I'm running 7 projectors off two computers. Most of it is just PSD's with the occasional M2V. The problem on my pre show check in which one of the 7 (We'll call it #1 on PC #1) dropped a few minutes from displaying anything. It just went black. I restarted Watchout and it came back. The show went fine until about 10 minutes until the end when Projector #2 on PC #1 went dark. As it was relatively unimportant, we ignored it and I troubleshooted it at the end of the night. Restarting Watchout didn't fix it, but restarting PC #1 did.

The next day, I booted up and Projector #2 on PC #1 did not show up. Rebooting Watchout or the computer didn't help, so I restarted PC #1 and it worked only to have Projector #1 on PC #1 do the same thing. Restarted everything again and Projector #3 on PC #2 failed. At this point I'm really confused. Do another full restart of everything and it works. The show went fine.

Today I get to work and boot up everything to discover Projector #2 on PC #1 failed to boot up remotely. I get a lamp error light blink on lamp #2. So at this point I'm wondering if this is a projector issue. I kill power to the projector and restart it. The error goes away and both lamps fire without problem.

Tonight's show Projector #4 on PC #2 glitches out during a M2V. It causes the other 2 on that system to freeze, but they all reset 10 seconds later and the other 4 (including the two with issues) had no problems.

So at this point I'm really lost on what it might be. I'm running all Lightware TPS extenders on Panasonic 6700s with new lamps and filters and feeding audio through an m-audio FastTrack pro. I plan to replace lamps and check voltage on Projector #2 tomorrow, but that's a blind guess as to what the problem is.

Forgot to add, the error I always get is Unexpected Display Reconfiguration.

As Jonas say, loss of EDID is usually the cause of this problem. This results in Windowes re-configuring the display, which upsets WATCHOUT. This loss of EDID may be caused by extension cables, the display device itself, power issues, etc. The most solid fix is often to add EDID emuator boxes to all outputs. Some advanced graphics card drivers have such functions built in.

Mike

Aside from type of media or projector´s lamps issues this sounds like EDID problems. I believe Lighware TPS extender is EDID transparent so this relies on the projector to store any EDID input data.

By other side, check the projectors´ native resolution and stage displays are the same resolution (just checking). But anyway, try to add some EDID minder (Gefen, Extron, Parrot, etc) they use to avoid this kind of "Unexpected Display Configuration" message. Also check cables are not at any point failing.

We always use DVI routers on Watchout shows. Generally, Lightware products. We then convert at the output of the router to either fiber or SDI to make the runs to the projectors. The Lightware products provide solid EDID management and if there is ever a problem, it's either a faulty cable, adapter or video output on the video card itself.

• 1 month later...

ATI FirePro cards can emulate EDID.

This means even if no display is connected to the output of the card, windows will always "see" the monitors, and "Unexpected Display Reconfiguration" will not be a problem anymore.

Have you tested that?

Just today I had a technician tell me that was not entirely true in practice.

The ATI cards seem pretty stable once the EDID is locked in. The ATI configuration panel allows you to 'Force EDID emulation' on the chosen outputs and, once that's in place, I've unplugged and swapped cables without Watchout noticing a thing - the show just keeps playing. Without the forced EDID though, it just behaves like a normal graphics card and tries to detect the output format, which might explain the instability others have seen.

matkeane and Alex,

Well the AMD FirePro software EDID manager experience you describe is not experienced by all using that tool.

There very well may be something you are doing differently than others,

and it would be valuable to identify what that is.

My experience with the W7000 was on a client's machine, and I don't have access to it at the moment, so this is from memory. The card was supplied, and I think also installed, by Vidémus - the Dataton partner here in France. They supplied a PDF fie with screenshots of how to configure the EDID (which I would upload if I could see how).

In the ATI FirePro control panel, under the 'AMD FirePro' tab and 'EDID Emulation' options: the 'Force EDID Emulation' checkbox is checked. Then, after expanding the 'Display Connections' header, I've selected the outputs I want to configure and hit the 'Manage EDID' button at the bottom. From there what I have generally done is either load an existing EDID configuration from a file or, if I'm setting up a new configuration, I've first saved the EDID file from the first output, and then applied the EDID file to the other outputs.

Although I've used the machine on several events now, I've actually either been using 1080p60 outputs or 1920x1200p60 outputs, so I've been swapping between the two EDID files. Last week, while preparing a show on the client's premises, one of the LCDs was intermittently losing the input, so I spent a few minutes swapping cables and DisplayPort adapters while Watchout was playing the show and it didn't budge (turned out to be the DVI-HDMI adapter plugged into the screen).

The only drawback of the card I've seen so far is that it's not necessarily easy to force some resolutions using just the card. I spent an interesting 15 minutes at one event trying to set the outputs to 1080p50 while connected to a Christie projector which kept forcing the card back to 60Hz. When I have some time, I think I will borrow an external EDID emulator and save a bunch of configuration files that I can reuse with the card.

Some notes on how I use the emulation.

If you have a card with 4 output, firepro w7000, and are only using 2 (my case).

Must enable EDID emulator only for the used outputs and make sure you never connect any thing to the other, unused, outputs. Cover it with PVC tape.

Also can enable emulation to all outputs to be safe, but in this case you are wasting resources with 2 outputs not used.

If you connect a screen to the no emulated outputs, screen reconfiguration will occur.

• 1 year later...

I have two Wo Display machines with Firepro W7100 cards. And I am wondering how to use Edid emulation feature correctly. As there is no manual about it, I am trying it here:

Its possible to use it in three ways:

1.) Just check "Force EDID Emulation" checkbox and it forces the EDID data it has at the time the checkbox was chacked.

2.) Load EDID data individualy to each output from file or from the connected displays.

3.) Or combination: to load EDID data individualy and also have the "Force EDID Emulation" checkbox checked.

To me the second option seems to be the best way, what do you think? Any new experiences with this topic? Can it be as stabel as external EDID emulators?

Thanks for answer