Touch screen as input as trigger?

Curtis Hutchins

Has anyone used a touch screen as user input to trigger WATCH OUT timelines? I'm looking to use Watchout as a media server for multiple touch screens. I know that a dedicate computer may be the best approach but there are other factors here that warrant putting everything on a Watchout network...

I suspect I will need an intermediate device to convert touch screen input to MIDI or DMX values.

First use case: Simple trigger to move timeline forward. (mouse up event)

second use case: Take multiple touch screen inputs from multiple touch screens to trigger timeline forward for each specific display... (mouse up event )

third use case: Take multiple inputs to trigger timeline forward for specific displays... (mouse up event - mouse location)

Feasible? Any thoughts?

Thx,

Curtis

Has anyone used a touch screen as user input to trigger WATCH OUT timelines?

The device you choose as a TouchScreen has more to do with the answer than anything else.

Lots of customers use smartphones, tablet / pads, etc to just that.

I'm looking to use Watchout as a media server for multiple touch screens. I know that a dedicate computer may be the best approach but there are other factors here that warrant putting everything on a Watchout network...

You need to clarify that, can't tell if you want the control on the network or not,

sounds like you do want it on the network.

I suspect I will need an intermediate device to convert touch screen input to MIDI or DMX values.

First use case: Simple trigger to move timeline forward. (mouse up event)

second use case: Take multiple touch screen inputs from multiple touch screens to trigger timeline forward for each specific display... (mouse up event )

third use case: Take multiple inputs to trigger timeline forward for specific displays... (mouse up event - mouse location)

Feasible? Any thoughts?

Thx,

Curtis

WATCHOUT Remote will do all of what you ask, but maybe with a mouse event or two more.

If you prefer a custom interface,

WATCHOUT Remote is written in Java and is open source,

so it makes a great jump start for any custom development.

The Java develepment is about the same level of difficulty as adding Java functions to a web page.

All communication is via IP network, whether it is a PC, Mac, Android, Blackberry, etc.

no need for an intermediate device to convert touch screen input to MIDI or DMX values.

There is also an iOS version of WATCHOUT Remote,

it runs as a web app on iOS,

so anyone developing for iOS should have the skill set to create a custom app

to do what you want on that platform.

Or develop on any platform you choose, WATCHOUT in cluster mode has an extensive IP control set

that can do anything you ask, and much more.

Just a clarification. There are two versions of the "WATCHOUT Remote". One is written in Javascript, primarily targeting iOS (iPhone/iPad), and one is written in Adobe AIR (runs on Mac/Win/Linux). There's no Java version, which Jim suggests above (probably confusing Java with Javascript, which sounds similar but really isn't).

Note that the various WATCHOUT Remote apps are ready to use as-is, so you don't need to be a developer to use them. However, if you have specific needs, there are also developer APIs as part of these products that can simplify the task of creating a custom control panel for WATCHOUT using any of the mentioned technologies.

I'm also prepping a show for an install display, and want to use an iPad for a remote. the thing is, client wants a graphic interface - sort of like a motion DVD menu that remote controls the display. I could use some help with the javascript programming. (that's out of my programming league). please email jack@esperproducers.com