Usage of link-local IP (169.254.0.0/16) from WO Master?

tobiasbecker

Hi,

I'm using somewhat of a different WO Master computer configuration and had an interesting experience today (WO 5.2.2, 64bit master, 32bit client).

WO Master is using a Intel Pro network card which allows for different VLANs to be processed by the card. As the WO Master also runs Universe (show control) on a 2nd monitor it is talking in different networks using VLANs. All this is working fine - I also have the WO VLAN being top priority in Windows according to this http://forum.dataton.com/topic/668-routed-watchout/ thread.

Now: as soon as I have a network (eg a VLAN without DHCP but also without manual IP address) that has a link-local address (169.254.x.x) address WO stops synchronizing between master and clients.

As soon as I disable the virtual NIC WO works flawless again.

What this means on the network side to my knowledge:

The WO Master Windows decides where to put the traffic according to the assigned local IP addresses.

IF there is an interface with 169.254.0.0/16 available its sending traffic for an IP in that range down that network adapter (and not the WO adapter any more).

As soon as I disable this interface traffic to this address should not be forwarded (its going to the gateway of the first adapter which is WO which is empty but anyway).

Question (to Dataton or anybody else): is there any explanation

what is happening in that link-local IP range so that its essential for WO to run?

Any other ideas or explanations?

Just curious.. :-) Thanks.