URGENT: 1920x1080@30hz

francescodere

Hi All, we have to run 6 led display, real resolution 1512x720, i have set the sending cards at 1920x1080 @30hz to have it working perfectly , but using watchout they are not able to set this resolution.

is there a way to set it ? or at least to set watchout display at 1600x900 ??

thanks for your help.

bye bye 

Francesco 

Hi Francisco,

Not 100% sure, but I think that when you go live on WO - it will try to output 1920x1080 at 60hz, even if you set the display card outputs to 30hz.

I assume you have a video processor between WO and the LED wall. I would set the output from the display card to 1920x1080P 60hz, and try to change the output resolution from your video processor to be 1920x1080 30hz.

I encountered this problem about a year ago, so I am not 100% sure about my suggestion. 

Set WATCHOUT's refresh rate in Preferences to 30 Hz. Set the displays resolutions in WATCHOUT to the desired resolution. If you set the resolution and refresh rate manually also on the computers before starting WATCHOUT display software, it should leave those set as is, without attempting to change the resolution. This all assumes that your graphics card and display device supports the desired refresh rate and resolution in full-screen Direct3D mode. In some rare cases, computers may support a resolution/rate in GDI mode, while not supporting it in full-screen Direct3D mode. If that's the case, there's nothing WATCHOUt can do about it, and launching your presentation will cause the graphics card to switch display mode to whatever is preferred for full-screen Direct3D use by the driver.

Well if this is the same project, I have just returned from Penang (2:00am here) on a demo with Watchout 6.01 from it (started with 6.02 but with the afore-mentioned problems plus EDID/mDP-DP adapter problems initially, I switched to 6.01 and never reverted).

The 30Hz setting on the 6 LinSn Sending Cards resulted in a horizontal line from left to right across the Display PC's 4 outputs. The other 2 outputs came from Watchpax, and the setting of 30fps in Preferences solved that for Watchpax but not for the Display PC which only had options for 50 or 60Hz, nothing more or less. The demo Display PC specs were i7 4790K, MSI mATX motherboard, Firepro W4100, Samsung 512GB SM951 M.2 on a PCIe Adapter. We tried 1600x900 (with emulated EDID from the Firepro), and 1920x1080@60Hz today to no avail.

Finally I called in a friend in Penang familiar with LinSn cards and LED displays for rental work, and he sent his technician to assist troubleshooting. No result especially since the loop amongst the 600+ panels could not be re-wired to a pattern he was familiar with, until he suggested trying a matrix DVI-DVI Switcher/processor in between the W4100 output and the input of the LinSn Sending Cards. Made-in-China but the unit could be set to output to a custom 1920x1080@30Hz regardless of input and this solved the problem.

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Well if this is the same project, I have just returned from Penang (2:00am here) on a demo with Watchout 6.01 from it (started with 6.02 but with the afore-mentioned problems plus EDID/mDP-DP adapter problems initially, I switched to 6.01 and never reverted).

The 30Hz setting on the 6 LinSn Sending Cards resulted in a horizontal line from left to right across the Display PC's 4 outputs. The other 2 outputs came from Watchpax, and the setting of 30fps in Preferences solved that for Watchpax but not for the Display PC which only had options for 50 or 60Hz, nothing more or less. The demo Display PC specs were i7 4790K, MSI mATX motherboard, Firepro W4100, Samsung 512GB SM951 M.2 on a PCIe Adapter. We tried 1600x900 (with emulated EDID from the Firepro), and 1920x1080@60Hz today to no avail.

Finally I called in a friend in Penang familiar with LinSn cards and LED displays for rental work, and he sent his technician to assist troubleshooting. No result especially since the loop amongst the 600+ panels could not be re-wired to a pattern he was familiar with, until he suggested trying a matrix DVI-DVI Switcher/processor in between the W4100 output and the input of the LinSn Sending Cards. Made-in-China but the unit could be set to output to a custom 1920x1080@30Hz regardless of input and this solved the problem.

Thomas

Hi Thomas yes is the same project , i have made it . the cabling is very easy in horizontal way , ask the guys they have also my original drawing .

by the way in the mean time i suggest them to use simple edid emulator like the ones suggested somewhere in this forum.

the setting for the linsn sending cards are 1920x1080@30Hz and it run perfectly , if we run 1920x1080@60hz it runs whit horizontal line .

Hi francescodere. That's not what we found. The horizontal line is present when we ran with 1920x1080@30Hz. At 60Hz, the image was split at the same horizontal position and the top half was repeated in the bottom half (i.e. not proper full image), and they were not willing to re-program the LinSn to try get a full proper image. If I knew how to upload an image to attach to this post, I would. But perhaps your boys have sent you the images already.

Hi Thomas , maybe someone not able touch something because when we live penang on 15 december we have run all 6 for around 3/4 days in 1920x1080 directly from the graphic card they have there (now i don know which it was ) only plug and play and it runs , and the setting on the sending cards where made by me at 1920x1080@30 hz whit no stripe or line at all .

why do not try to use edid emulator ?? but before of that where your mini dp/ dp to dvi adapter active or passive ?? i experence sometimes problem whit the passive ones .

francesodere, there was no pc/graphics card there when I called in 22-23 Dec., and no one informed me that Watchout had already been tested successfully with another set.

Initially not suppose to go, but they had problems with my pc and Watchpax so I was called up. It was all very last minute like come into my office today and take away a unit/units capable of 6 outputs tonight for Penang tomorrow. I only had 1 Watchpax and a low-profile 4-output pc with 2 mDP-DV Active, and 1 non-active. They said they would go buy the rest from the shops, so it ended up with a mix of adapters from different manufacturers. The 4-output Firepro was on EDID Emulator from Catalyst Pro.

• 4 weeks later...

To put an end/solution to this thread, 3 units of Watchpax were delivered to site last week, and after some initial troubles getting a proper connection to the LinSn Sending cards (set at 1920x1080@30Hz), it was finally discovered that only PASSIVE mDP-DVI adapters worked between Watchpax and the Sending Cards, with Watchout's Preference set at 30fps. The Sapphire active mDP-DVI adapters were unable to get a fix on the 1920x1080 resolution required by the LinSn Sending Cards.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys , Myself Christopher. i have a query on using watchout for LED walls. we have linsn and novastar LED walls. we faced this issue during wide screen LED. LED wall was all good during configuration through a laptop. but once the watchout display is connected at top and bottom black bands were there. out put of display server was 1920x1080. 60hz. LED wall size was 1440x720 pixels. watchout display output was connected to a Digital video processor. from there to LED wall. these processors were recieving 1920x1200 resolution from server. we tried changing the stage from 1920x1080 to other stage sizes like 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1280x720, but no luck. if use 1280x1024 the black bands were at sides of LED wall. is there anything to do during the configuration of LED? we use windows laptop for configuration. pls advice.. 

Hi guys , Myself Christopher. i have a query on using watchout for LED walls. we have linsn and novastar LED walls. we faced this issue during wide screen LED. LED wall was all good during configuration through a laptop. but once the watchout display is connected at top and bottom black bands were there. out put of display server was 1920x1080. 60hz. LED wall size was 1440x720 pixels. watchout display output was connected to a Digital video processor. from there to LED wall. these processors were recieving 1920x1200 resolution from server. we tried changing the stage from 1920x1080 to other stage sizes like 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1280x720, but no luck. if use 1280x1024 the black bands were at sides of LED wall. is there anything to do during the configuration of LED? we use windows laptop for configuration. pls advice.. 

Sounds like the same solution - all the issues you describe are typically caused by incorrect EDID information.

See that with processors a lot, even the Christie Spyder's EDID triggers the 1920x1080 - 1920x1200 mismatch issue.

Try a standard monitor known to be capable of the task you desire

or a reputable EDID manager to confirm that is the issue.

...out put of display server was 1920x1080. 60hz. LED wall size was 1440x720 pixels. watchout display output was connected to a Digital video processor. from there to LED wall. these processors were recieving 1920x1200 resolution from server...

In the first place, I would set the Digital Video Processor to NOT SCALE anything of the inputs. This ensures that what you send from Watchout is not reprocessed into any other size, and the LED Wall is receiving Watchout's outputs in the intended resolution.

What is not clear from your post is the "output of display server was 1920x1080 60hz...these processors were receiving 1920x1200 resolution from server". How did you determine that the Digital Video Processors were receiving 1920x1200? Is there an input readout from the DVPs?

Your objective should be to match Watchout's graphics card output to the Wall's input - as Jim said, if this needs EDID Management, then you can't escape that. But in my limited experience with Watchout-LED, short-run cables do not need such extra costs (1-3m cables).

Lastly, whatever content you have in the Stage Display (eg. 1440x720) is positioned in the Stage Display aligned to the top left corner of the Stage Display if using Watchout 5.x. If using Watchout 6.x you can use a Virtual Display of 1440x720 positioned in an actual Stage Display of 1920x1080 also aligning the 1440x720 Virtual Display to the top left corner of the Stage Display.

From my observation, what happens then is that the Watchout Display PC's graphics card sends out 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 as the case may be) with content of 1440x720 aligned to the top left corner of the 1920x1080. The LED Wall Sending Card receives this and sends it out to the wall. Since the rest of the (1920-1440) x (1080-720) is not connected to any LED panel at all, there is nothing to be seen.

if we minimize display window, by key comb of ctrl+shift+A from control server , we can see full screen without black bands on LED wall. if display goes to fullscreen top and bottom has black band. We have tried edid managers as well. but it didn't help.. 

That can be expected behavuor depending on your setup.

When you "...ctrl+shift+A from control server ..." you are remote managing the display computer.

So, watchpoint switches to Window mode and loads vnc software for remote management.

Switching to Window mode causes watchpoint to go offline,

shrink to the small black widow with menu bar,

AND Windows changes from DirectX 3D rendering to standard GDI rendering mode.

When that rendering mode shift drops from DirectX 3D to GDI, the resolution and refresh rate

will revert to the same GDI settings that were in place before watchpoint was started.

In your case, those should be the same as your DirectX 3D resolutions,

and you should see no changes in resolution, etc.

But clearly you are seeing a change.

I have used this as a feature.

Had a watchpoint computer DA'd to both a 1080p display

and a lower resolution rack mounted monitor. The rack monitor could not display 1080p.

So we set Windows to a resolution that would work on the rack display,

and WATCHOUT display settings were set to  1920x1080 in the display dialogs.

When in full screen mode, WATCHOUT would jump the resolution to 1080p, and

the low res rack display would not work.

When window mode was entered, Windows would drop back to the original lower res on its own,

and the rack display could be used to change Windows settings on the watchpoint computer.

When watchpoint is returned to full screen mode, the rack monitor would drop again.

So I know the watchpoint computer resolution settings can change

when going back and forth between window mode and full screen mode.

That shift is where things are going wrong.

When watchpoint switches to Direct X3D mode with a show loaded,

it will confirm the show settings match the current Windows GDI settings.

If they match, no resolution requests are made of Windows.

If they do not match, i.e. show settings are different, it will request the

different settings in the show file from Windows.

And that is where things are going wrong.

Confirm there are no typos or incorrect settings in the

Display Resolution section of the Display dialog.

If you have solid known good EDID

(and preferably only one valid EDID setting, not multiple valid choices)

then, you have a graphics card issue, most likely driver related.

Dear sir, the processor we use will show the input resolution. so it shows 1920x1200. 60hz. even if we try to change the display resolution to 1920x1080. it automatically switches back to 1920x1200 in display server.    the LED wall is 1440x720. we scale the processor to fit watchout output on LED wall. the desktop of display server runs perfectly full screen on LED wall. only the watchout fullscreen on display server gives top and bottom black bands.

Dear all, finally i found out what was th issue.. we were using dvi over fiber transmitter + reciver from display server to LED wall, this was taking 1920x1200 from the graphic card..thats y even if the stage is 1920x1080, out put was 1920x1200. if i connect display to LED wall without dvi over fiber device its perfect 1920x1080.

... We have tried edid managers as well. but it didn't help.. 

Dear all, finally i found out what was th issue.. we were using dvi over fiber transmitter + reciver from display server to LED wall, this was taking 1920x1200 from the graphic card..thats y even if the stage is 1920x1080, out put was 1920x1200. if i connect display to LED wall without dvi over fiber device its perfect 1920x1080.

So how come the EDID manager did not solve the issue then?

That simply does not add up.

If i connect edid manager after fiber optic Tx + Rx it didn't help. it was sending same 1920x1200 even if i set desired resolution to 1920x1080.  I couldnt figure out y it happening ..  but the edid manager works if there is no Tx + Rx in between.. Now i have customized the edid resolution of Tx + RX from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080.  now all working fine..

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys..  i have an issue..  Everyone says watchout  6 can give any custom resolutions for LED walls.   i tried doing it in our server with graphic card of AMD fire pro w7000.   but always get error Display Specifications Mismatch, Specified resolution and framerate cant be set.   can anyone faced this issue? i am trying to get resolution of for example 1536x1024. also need to know if we can send 2 different customized resolutions from 1 w7100? 

Hi Guys..  i have an issue..  Everyone says watchout  6 can give any custom resolutions for LED walls.   i tried doing it in our server with graphic card of AMD fire pro w7000.   but always get error Display Specifications Mismatch, Specified resolution and framerate cant be set.

can anyone faced this issue? i am trying to get resolution of for example 1536x1024. 

The available resolutions and frame rates in Widows are defined by the connected display's EDID

(in this case the wall processor). If the wall processor does not communicate 1536x1024 is a resolution that it supports,

you will get what you are observing. The normal method of dealing with this type of thing

is to use a larger standard resolution and include the 1536x1024. as a subset of that resolution,

then use the wall processors remapping capabilities to deal with the rest.

also need to know if we can send 2 different customized resolutions from 1 w7100? 

As long as the EDID supports both - then yes (with v6.2 and later only).

• 2 weeks later...

If am having AMD firepro W7100 graphic card in the display server, what is the biggest resolution i can push in 1 output? ...

Providing the display's EDID confirms it is available - 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz