WATCHOUT in Windows 10

Miro

Thomas, WATCHOUT doesn't work across multiple GPUs and some laptops use the Intel GPU for the internal display as soon as you extend it. It should be possible to set the preferred GPU in the Nvidia settings for some laptops. Also hybrid SLI could also work if it's available.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Miro. But I did try all combinations for Watchpoint:

- Default gpu: Intel. This worked.

- Default gpu: nVidia. This did not.

- Preferred gpu: nVidia. This did not.

- Preferred gpu: Intel. This worked.

No hybrid SLI option for me.

Perhaps it is the dual gpu that is the cause of my problem, although I thought that by selecting the nVidia as default rather than preferred, it would somehow 'disable' the Intel. Looks like not. I presume your tests are with a desktop with a 3rd party gpu installed, and so far that works fine with the Anniversary Update? Time for me to go buy a Win 10 Pro licence to find out then...but I still have 2 unsold Win 7 Pro licences in the cupboard!

Thomas

• 1 month later...

compatibility issue whit whatchout are solved since the launch of win 10 anniversary? it work  now?

No, not yet.

Dataton is in the process of testing with Win 10 AE,

but that process is not complete.

I suspect testing will turn up new issues which would then

be addressed in a future WO 6 release.

Until then, Windows 7 remains the recommended OS for WATCHOUT.

That said, some end users have been trying out Win 10 AE with some success,

but that is jumping the gun a bit, and puts you into the "unsupported" realm for now.

i.e. as per the old saying ...

"You can always tell the pioneers by all the arrows in their back"

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding Watchout 5.5.2 Production on Windows 10, you can't start a Display computer's (Win 7) timeline using the WATCHOUT Production application on Windows 10.

If you press spacebar/play on WATCHOUT Production on Windows 7, the timeline on the WATCHOUT Display (Win 7) starts.

If you press spacebar/play on WATCHOUT Production on Windows 10, the timeline on the WATCHOUT Display (Win 7) does not start. The preview on the WATCHOUT Production does start though.

Using telnet on Windows 10 to control WATCHOUT Display (Win 7) works properly.

Regarding Watchout 5.5.2 Production on Windows 10, you can't start a Display computer's (Win 7) timeline using the WATCHOUT Production application on Windows 10.

If you press spacebar/play on WATCHOUT Production on Windows 7, the timeline on the WATCHOUT Display (Win 7) starts.

If you press spacebar/play on WATCHOUT Production on Windows 10, the timeline on the WATCHOUT Display (Win 7) does not start. The preview on the WATCHOUT Production does start though.

Using telnet on Windows 10 to control WATCHOUT Display (Win 7) works properly.

What you describe is a network problem, not a Windows problem per se.

You Win 10 system is not sending its UDP broadcast packets

(and the TCP/IP is getting through ok as expected).

Check for multiple NICs in the Win 10 system, if there are,

disable all but the WATCHOUT NIC and see of the problem disappears.

If that does not fix it, take a second look at firewalls settings, network switch DOS protections, etc.

Its all a bit academic, as Win 10 is not really compatible with WATCHOUT 5 anyway,

but as you discovered, it will mostly work with a bit of care on your part.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm about to totally commit to computer rebuilds, so it'd be nice to get a little insight into the Windows 10 testing timeline so I can make some final decisions as whether to choose more advanced components or stick with the older stuff.

So three questions:

1. How's the Windows 10 testing coming along?  

2. Is there any chance Watchout will be tested with the new KabyLake (Windows 10 only) motherboards and i7-7700k processor?

3. I think I already know the answer to this last question, but I gotta ask: Is there any significant chance that Watchout 5.5.2 will ever work with Windows 10? (and yes, I did read jfk's post just 3 posts above and realize that I might be able to get 5.5.2 to work with Windows 10, but thought there might be an outside chance that, as MS finally gets Windows 10 where it should be, that WO 5.5.2 might be just fine to use with Windows 10.  Yes?)

Thanks!

Lloyd

Hi, for the production interface Windows10 works just fine. We are using dell XPS laptops in house equipped with either skylake or kaby lake processors.

On the display server side I mostly tested Skylake so far but we will test newer hardware soon as well. The only issue we have with intel GPUs and windows 10 is that we cannot set the resolution and refresh rate from WATCHOUT. The intel GPUs seems to ignore all resizing requests so the workaround is to setup everything correctly in Intel's graphic properties user interface.

However, the kaby lake processor available at the moment have only the low-end GPUs (Intel HD Graphics 615-630) and I would wait for the Iris and Iris Pro series (640, 650 and 680). The low end GPUs have a much lower fill rate (filling the pixels on the screen, including all layers) compared to the Iris series. But if you only want to connect 1-2 HD displays then it should be fine. It also seems that the frame scheduling is not as accurate which can lead to dropped frames.

Thanks for the update Miro! 

Interesting.  I thought that with a separate graphics card (I recently purchased the WX7100) that the processor's onboard GPU's would be disabled.  But apparently all video data still passes through the Intel processor's GPU on its way to the display such that resolution, refresh rate, and resizing via Watchout fails for some reason, as well as having a lower fill rate and increased possibility of dropped frames?  

Therefore, I am putting on hold my decision to buy the Kaby Lake i7-7700k processor which does indeed have the low end 630 Intel Graphics.  Your post was a huge piece of information that I had been missing

Your help in understanding is most appreciated!

Thanks!

Lloyd...............who may cave and just go with Windows 7, but who hopes that everything will soon be settled as far as Watchout and  Windows 10 goes to where I can make the best decisions on display computer rebuilds.

Wait a minute.  A separate graphics card is connected directly to a display, right?  That video doesn't get rerouted to a processor's GPU, does it?  So, unless we are thinking of using a processor's onboard graphics, we don't have to worry about resolution, refresh rate, resizing, and dropped frames, unless, of course, the video card itself is having those problems, right? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Do you have some news related testing WO6 on WIN10?

I'm testing a WIN10 1607.14393.0 computer display equipped with fire pro with 6 out. What can I see here is that sometimes the WO display crashes but I can't understand what trigger it, sometimes seems to be related to network communication but it's a sporadic behaviour.

Does Dataton has some experience to share with us?

Cheers

yep.. that is 1 year old thread.. 

Say what? The referenced thread was started 17 January 2017 - 11:17 AM EST

and the referenced post #3 provides up to date info on Windows 10, dated 18 January 2017 - 04:58 AM EST.

All less than two weeks old.  :huh:

so no news! we are stuck with win7

Well yes, but as the referenced post describes,

that is a result of bugs in Windows 10 under Microsoft DirectX 9.

Please read the referenced post,

it is the most up to date info on Windows 10 and WATCHOUT.

ops! Sorry it seemed to be an old thread.

There is any particular reason to don't move on DirectX 12? it seems that Microsoft is focused on DirectX 12. Other big software in the market moved to win 10 and, after a while, they work flawlessly.

Thank you for your time.

ops! Sorry it seemed to be an old thread.

There is any particular reason to don't move on DirectX 12? it seems that Microsoft is focused on DirectX 12. 

As explained in that post,

a move to DirectX 12 would outdate all hardware running Windows 7 or Windows 8.

i.e. that means outdating WATCHPAX, WATCHMAX and

just about every professionally prepared WATCHOUT server in use today.

Long term that is not an acceptable reason, agreed,

but short term, it is what it is.

Personally, I feel if Dataton wants to remain current,

they are facing an increased development / support load,

potentially offering both ...

• WATCHOUT Classic — 32 bit DX9, Quicktime support
  • WATCHOUT — 64 bit DX12, no Quicktime support EXCEPT for the four QT .mov exception codecs

iono.gif

• 3 months later...
  • Dataton Partner

Has anybody successfully used the "Downgrade rights from windows 10 Pro to Windows 7".

I'm hitting a brick wall with Microsoft saying that only manufacturers, DELL and HP can use this.

I would really like to know what steps you went through with Microsoft to activate Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro OEM key.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody successfully used the "Downgrade rights from windows 10 Pro to Windows 7".

I'm hitting a brick wall with Microsoft saying that only manufacturers, DELL and HP can use this.

I would really like to know what steps you went through with Microsoft to activate Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro OEM key.

From what I have googled, all you need is a prior Windows Pro key (sort of as proof that you do own a Windows 7 Pro), even though it was activated before on another computer. In other words, activation does not depend on the key but on the fact that you have previously owned one. Not sure if this applies to OEM versions. Alternatively, do a dual-boot installation.

Thomas Leong

• Dataton Partner

I can't re use a Windows 7 key to activate another computer can I?

How would dual boot work in this situation?

-All I would have is an illegal copy of windows 7 and Windows 10 which still can't run Watchout properly.

We really need to know how far away Watchout is from a working windows 10 solution.......