Watchout and Graphics Cards

Einar

Hi everybody!

I`m new to Watchout, but have experience with a lot of other mediaservers. In our next show we are final using Watchout with two display computers with 3 outputs each, running 1920x1200 on each output. I`m really looking forward to start using Watchout. Our computers have been used for other mediasoftware and are quite up to date. The only thing we need to upgrade is our graphics card. I`ve read a lot of forum posts, and Datatons recommendation for graphics card 2015, but I`m still a bit confused. With this post, I`m hoping you all could help me to get a better overview of how Watchout uses the different GPU`s, what specifications of a graphic card is important, and pros and cons for professional vs consumer cards. I know this has been heavily debated, but I`m hoping we could summarize everything in this post. Here are my questions:

- It seems AMD FirePro line is widely recommended. But what are the benefits except that is professional? Better components? Better drivers? More stable drivers? Other things?

- As I understand it, Watchout is using DirectX. Would a gaming card that scores high in gaming DirectX performance be good for Watchout or is other functions of DirectX that is more important? (most of the reviews on graphics card is tested on games) 

-  Does the FirePro line have any performance benefits over high spec consumer card? For example the AMD FirePro W7100 versus NVIDIA GTX 980Ti? (about same price range) Or is it basically stability your paying for? 

- I `ve been building mediaservers for quite some time and have always used NVIDIA cards. And a least, for a couple of years back, it was widely accepted that NVIDIA had better and more stable drivers than AMD/ATI. Word on the Internet has that AMD drivers has improved over the last years. Any thoughts on this? 

- If we don`t go down the pro line, but are opting for a high end gaming card, any thoughts on GTX 980Ti versus AMD Fury? Or is better to go a step down to GTX970/AMD 390X?       

Looking forward to hearing your explanations and experience!

Best Regards, 
Einar

We use nvidia geforce gtx9xx series in all our fleet (30+) of WO servers.

Never had an issue.

Happy with the performance.

No need of active adapters.

The various outputs of the same Nvidia GeForce graphic board are perfectly in sync, perfect for use with huge LED walls (AMD boards assure perfect sync between the outputs of the same board only adding the optional sync card, available only for professional grade boards)

My two cents.

• 1 year later...

We are using Firepro w7100 since few years now.. we have no problems.  but recently i heard Nvidia is better in few features  like no need of active adaptors, edid locking option.. am thinking of using Nvidia cards in future builds, anyone can suggest me which card would be ideal for 4 out puts with 8gb memory or more. ??

We are using Firepro w7100 since few years now.. we have no problems.  but recently i heard Nvidia is better in few features  like no need of active adaptors, edid locking option.. am thinking of using Nvidia cards in future builds, anyone can suggest me which card would be ideal for 4 out puts with 8gb memory or more. ??

Your FirePro w7100 offers EDID locking option as well.

Seriously, you would switch from what works for years because of active adaptors?