Playback speed control

Matthias Klinkert

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys

I need some advice/help[, I'm trying to manually & smoothly adjust playback speed using an external input say DMX or MID.  I can't use a time code link.  The music is analog and variable speed and I need to adjust to ensure the video stays with the program.  any ideas?   (Need approx plus or minus 3 or so percent maybe 5%)

Can't find anything but seem to recall something buried deep in the system that allows this.  (there isn't a convenient speed tween!)

Many thanks in advance!

Oli

So just to clarify:

Firstly we need an input say DMX or Midi to be read by a program and calculate a number between 0.8 and 1.2 based upon value sampled 0-255 for DMX so =0.8+(DMX/638) would return 0.8-1.199 

we then need a program to continuously write to the autostart .txt file and set the number t (x) to 0.8-1.2 or can we set an external variable to the text file? I'm sorry but my programming skills are rudimentary at best!

Authenticate 1

setrate (x)

There was an experimental IP control function to provide smooth variation of speed ±20% back in v3.1.1, I do not know if it is still supported, worth a try if you have some time.

VARISPEED
EXPERIMENTAL ONLY

A new command has been added to the display cluster protocol
 for WATCHOUT 3.1.1:

setRate <float>

where the rate must be a value in the range of 0.8 through 1.2, 
allowing for a +/-20% "varispeed". 

Note that this takes effect immediately, 
so any "graduality" would have to be created elsewhere. 
Again, audio among the media being played by WATCHOUT
 will probably not sync very well (if  at all), 
but visuals seem to be quite OK (including various forms of video).

23 hours ago, zackboyd said:

I missed this in the release notes! Hope it's still a thing... sounds like fun :)

As an experimental function, it never made it to the release notes, so you did not miss anything. I am hoping it is still operational, it relies on the same mechanism that varispeeds playback to maintain synch.

JFK 

I do get this, however I'm looking for inspiration as to how to implement it!  Watchnet seems to talk to the IP cluster directly I was wondering how to talk to the display cluster protocol using a routine or something!  This is beyond my current ability and I need pointing in the right direction if you have any clues as to how to achieve it.

Oli

• 2 weeks later...