News HAP 10 / HAP Q Alpha

KaiGerner

I'm confused the WO manual says it is supported.

In order to include transparency information in the video file, you must choose a codec that supports
this, such as the Animation or HAP codecs. If exporting the video, set to use “Millions+” of colors. The
“+” at the end stands for the transparency information. This is sometimes called “Millions+Alpha”. You
must also use an application that’s capable of reproducing and/or generating transparency information,
such as Adobe After Effects.

In Watchout 6 we currently support three different flavours of Hap: 

Hap: Standard Hap, no alpha

HapAlpha: Same quality as Hap (Standard), but with alpha channel. 

HapQ: Higher quality than standard Hap (mainly in the form of better color resolution), but with no support for alpha.

There is now also HapQAlpha, which has the same quality as HapQ, and with aalpha channel. This is not (yet) supported in Watchout. 

I hope this clears it up!

/Erik 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Unfortunately I have no idea about after effects. I have tested chunks mainly with ffmpeg using the following command line: 

ffmpeg -i Movie.mov -vcodec hap -format hap_q -chunks 8 MovieHapQ.mov

This will convert Movie.mov to a HapQ movie using 8 chunks, which means that Watchout can decode the movie using 8 threads simultaneously, which could give a major performance enhancement, as long as the disks are able to keep up. 

/Erik 

Hi,

as a intermediate solution please give the following the AVF Batch Encoder v1.6 for this source: https://github.com/Vidvox/hap-in-avfoundation/releases/tag/1.4a trial.

Perfect for transcoding and re-compression of content.

For HAP, HAP Alpha, HAP Q and HAP Q Alpha you can choose between no chunks (default) and up to 8 chunk encoding.

It's using the QuickTime Components for PJPEG, H.264, ProRes 422, ProRes 4444, HAP, HAP Alpha, HAP Q an HAP Q Alpha from /Library/QuickTime, directly.

You will only need to install the HAP package (which version ever you like to use) by yourself, in addition.

You can change the frame size, strip, copy or transcode the audio tracks.

Additionally you can leave the video without re-compression.

Another big benefit is the processing speed, without any virtual bottle necks.

Kind regards,

Nic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

mitreklov

Sure, I basically use veranoe FFMPEG for windows. Then I write batch files in windows to encode to HAP, I make sure the size is divisible by 4 and pad accordingly, I make sure audio is discarded or rendered to a separate file if appropriate, I also use 8 chunks since I have an 8 core (16 thread) processor, I append -WO to the filename before the extension and wrap it in a .mov container. I then use the registry to attach the batch file to the right click menu of the explorer. When I subsequently right click a file I am offered the option to "Convert for Watchout" (the name of my script) which opens a command windows showing the progress and stats of the encode as it is encoding, the resulting file sits beside the other one in the folder with a name like "final file-WO.mov". I can deal with up to 15 simultaneous files (8cores/16 thread).

Super easy and very powerful, here is a link to help you attach the batch file to the right click menu:

http://fluorware.tumblr.com/post/12786344562/integrate-ffmpeg-in-right-click-menu-to-convert

I am not beside my stations right now but I guess I can post the batch file content when I will be able to copy it so we can all make it better and end up with a superb encoder for Watchout. I could also post an installer but I am not sure how the license works for ffmpeg and I don't want to get in trouble.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on if/when HAP Q Alpha will be supported?  I am doing a lot of 4k output on an upcoming show.  Animation w/alpha channel is chugging, so I was very pleased with the results from HAP Alpha. I am seeing more compression artifacts that are reduced greatly with HAP Q, but the Alpha channel is the cleanest workflow for me. Still not working as of 6.1.4.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am working on rendering out AT file with HAP Alpha codec from AE CC via media encoder and it is taking my computer 4-9hrs per project to render the file. These files are not large. Is there any way to quicken the process or is it normal amount of time for HAP codec.

• 2 months later...

If using chunks makes sense depends on the resolution. If the videos play without using chunks, you are (slightly) better off without using chunks. If not, as few chunks as possible, to get reliable playback without stuttering, would make most sense, since each chunk adds a slight overhead. In case you need to use chunks, four chunks should cover most cases. Going beyond 8 chunks in a WP4 will most likely just make things worse.

/Erik 

• 4 months later...