Setting "Video in" on Display PC (WO6.1) does not work

Dimi

hi,

having a strange problem:

I want to set my Live Inputs (ctrl-w) on a Display PC running WO6.1 but when I click on my capture card it always keeps on  "Video in - None"

I have Live Inputs in Windows.

The problem does not seem to appear in WO 6.0.2 (I can set the video input there) but the production PC (and programmed show) are running on 6.1.

thanks

Dimi

• 2 weeks later...

Which capture device are you using? We need some more info about your system. Does WATCHOUT 6.0.2 work with live inputs on the same computer? Or are you running mixed versions of WATCHOUT on your system?

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. I'm using Blackmagic and also Datapath.

None of them can be selected in version 6.1. 

The prior version worked fine (6.0 or 6.01).

If you need some detail info, please specify.

Thanks

Jan

I have various systems with various hardware specs (tried it from Lenovo Laptops to 6 core machines with normal SSD or M2 disks)

what they have in common is Win 8.1 64 bit

I have capture cards from Blackmagic, Datapath and Startech. None of them (or even one at the time in a system is working)

Everything is working in 6.0.2... on these pcs

I did this

1) Uninstall WATCHOUT

2) Remove both the capture card from the machine.
3) Uninstall all drivers for the capture card.
4) Restart your PC
5) Perform any pending Windows OS updates on your PC
6) Install the capture card and its latest driver
7) Install WATCHOUT
8) Open a new show and test the Capture

kind regards

Can you post some specs on your system (like OS, motherboard, GPU, etc..), capture card model and capture card drivers?

Best regards,

Miroslav

I have windows 7 home premium 64bit, gpu ati radeon, motherboard gigabyte x58, capture driver blackmagic 10.1.4. Or the latest 10.5.1.

In version watchout 6.0.2 works

In version wo 6.1 not possible to select input.

In bm mediaexpress everything works.

Hi, 

Im having the same issue, when trying to select the video in it defaults back to none. 

Any ideas how to fix this? Had to revert back to the older software ( and this is not easy to find!) 

Many thanks,

Ryan 

I have not had a major problem with WO6.1 working with the 2 capture cards I have (Magewell Xi100XE-Pro, and Decklink Studio 2 with Decklink 10.3.7 driver). Perhaps you guys should try different versions of drivers, one by one from v10.0.0 upwards.

The little niggly problem I've had is when using Display PC as a standalone cluster with the Magewell card in a MSI micro motherboard with Win7 64-bit. The cluster works fine under Production PC control. As a standalone started with the autostart.txt script, the live video (HDMI capture of my laptop) comes on for 9-10 secs, then switches off to black. Putting the Magewell in my other Display PC with an ASRock Extreme 6 mobo with Win7 64-bit, all works fine in standalone mode with the same autostart.txt script. No blackout after 9-10 secs. Plays all day!

After comparing the 2 Display PCs in detail, and even un-installing a couple of Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2013 in the MSI which was not present in the ASRock, comparing NIC settings, etc...I could not find a reason for the blackout in the MSI versus no blackout in the ASRock.

Eventually, I stumbled on a solution: CTRL+W twice on the Display PC. The first to go into remote mode. The second to go back to fullscreen mode. Thereafter, the standalone cluster would capture live all day!

Not that I'm going to use it as such very often, but could be a bug that should be solved for the museum and rental market: a blackout of live video capture in standalone cluster mode after 9-10 secs. BTW, happened also with WO6.02, but not with 5.5.2. On the other hand, did not occur with a second similarly configured Display PC using the same Magewell capture card and driver. Don't have a Datapath on hand to test but shall try it with a client's Datapath setup soon.

Thomas Leong

UPDATE 17 May 2016

My 'niggly problem' has been solved. My own fault!! Because the default cue duration is 10secs when added to the Timeline, with no pause cue inserted, it ran out of media! Easy to overlook when running in standalone cluster with no view of the Timeline possible!

Thomas

• Dataton Partner

Hi,

The problem of this subject is the ability to choose any video input rather than none.
Those inputs are working well when the same display PC work as a production PC.

Michael Humash

Digital AV - ISRAEL

Hi Thomas,

Problem is not the live Video itself. Problem is after pressing Strg-w we can't SET the input. Altough the Input appears in the list there after setting it it reverts back to "NONE"

After trying it with several PC's and capture cards from different vandors in different combinations I can tell you it is not a problem with the capture cards because in WO 6.0.2 everything works fine

... I have Live Inputs in Windows. ...

I assume you mean with the capture card manufacturer's utility. And that means very little.

The utility provided by capture card manufacturer utilizes a proprietary driver unique to their products.
i.e. software that works with that proprietary driver will only work with that manufacturer's products.
WATCHOUT does not use that driver. 

WATCHOUT utilizes drivers written to the Microsoft Windows Driver Model (WDM).
WDM is generic standard supported by a wide variety of manufacturers, 
via a different driver than the one used by their utility.

Point is, the "live input in Windows" information is of limited value 
as it is not relevant to the manufacturer's WDM driver.

You are not alone in encountering
In version watchout 6.0.2 works
In version wo 6.1 not possible to select input. 

One user with the same report cured this by installing an updated driver (sort of).
But he reported simply installing the new driver in place of an older driver did not work.
He had to go back to his original tune before any capture card drivers were installed,
and only then installing an updated driver fixed his issue.
ymmv

Hi Thomas,

Problem is not the live Video itself. Problem is after pressing Strg-w we can't SET the input. Altough the Input appears in the list there after setting it it reverts back to "NONE"

After trying it with several PC's and capture cards from different vandors in different combinations I can tell you it is not a problem with the capture cards because in WO 6.0.2 everything works fine

Hi Dimi,

Not sure what the real problem is with you not being able to set the live inputs even though they are listed. I have not had this problem with 6.1 with both my capture cards and 2 Display PCs even when the Production PC is not connected, i.e. Display PCs operate as standalone cluster with their own keyboard and mouse to trigger CTRL+W.

Shots in the dark -

1. Is your Display PC tweaked to the guidelines in WATCHOUT Display & Production Tweaking List, especially with regards to disabling Windows Media Center: http://forum.dataton.com/topic/1886-watchout-technical-notes-2015/

2. Have you tried the English version of Watchout 6.1 rather than the German version? Doubt if this could be the cause since it is only a translation rather than a recode, but won't hurt to try.

3. For Decklink cards, suggest you try other driver versions, one by one. The old Extreme Studio 2 that I have in hand works fine with driver version 10.3.7 and I've not bothered to try the latest drivers on the premise that this old card won't have the features of the latest cards.

4. Are you trying to capture via HDMI? Loose cabling, faulty cables come to mind. Just find a method to ensure the source is outputting/connected as intended. I use Windows Display Settings to monitor that the Desktop is mirrored as intended since I test captures of my laptop's HDMI out.

Thomas Leong

Hi Thomas,

Exacty ... I did the same with different cards and WO 6.0.2 works for me too. For me it is not HW/Driver problem but Watchout Software problem ...

• 3 months later...

Hello, I have problems with blackmagic capture in version Watchout 6.1.1., The version Watchout 5 I do not happen when I put an SDI input in a secondary timeline, it makes me more than a second black, has a hard time entering the signal , I've tried everything and it does not work, you know where you can be the problem ????

Thank you.

Could someone help me please?, i have 2 blackmagic capture cards in my display computer and they seem to work properly, i tested them and everything ok from the BM software, once i start WO6 version 6.1, i look for them from the display computer but i can't select them, they do appear, but is always None selected.

Anyone?

Thanks.