Recursive use of virtual displays may yield unexpected results

MISTERK

what is this error i got and never had before in 6.0.2 and 6.1 ?

3d object in .3ds is at 0x0 in stage view and virtual display is 10000px away.

virtual display is used as texture for my 3d object and i don't have any virtual display as a cue in my timeline

Thx 4 help.

• 2 weeks later...

This "error" is actually just a warning message, and it occurs here because the virtual display thinks it "sees" the 3d object, which is using the same virtual display as texture.

One way to make sure you don't get this message is to place the 3d object, and the displays (3d projectors) looking at it, on a separate stage tier.

Hope this helps.

One way to make sure you don't get this message is to place the 3d object, and the displays (3d projectors) looking at it, on a separate stage tier.

Does this mean the object needs to be in a layer that only appears on that tear, or can the layer keep its default settings? Just curious...

Thanks!

i still got these warnings ! (each time ctrl-d) it's a little scary during a show. stress !

i have my 3D object  on stage tier Base

my 3 projectors are on tier 2.

i have 9 virtual displays on tier 3

and 6 more on another tier 4.

i have a 2d display in 1920x1080 on another tier 5, using 2 virtual displays (as cues in main timeline)from tier 3.

All medias cues and the 2 virtual displays i'm using are on main timeline, no layers dedicated to a specific tier.

• 9 months later...

This "error" is actually just a warning message, and it occurs here because the virtual display thinks it "sees" the 3d object, which is using the same virtual display as texture.

Hope this helps.

Hi tried this but still have same error message

any other options?

thanks

All medias cues and the 2 virtual displays i'm using are on main timeline, no layers dedicated to a specific tier.

Sorry for not answering this earlier, but there is your problem. You need to isolate those cues (normal cues or 3d objects) rendering the contents of the virtual displays, so they are not visible to their corresponding virtual displays. This can be done either by putting those cues on a layer that is limited to only one tier, or as Mike mentioned above, limit a whole timeline.

For example:

I usually solve it by putting the 3d object on the main timeline, and (IMPORTANT) limiting that layer to only render on the base tier. Then I place my projectors on the base tier, looking at the object from different directions. Then I create a second tier, lets call it Virtual Tier. There I place all the virtual displays, and make sure that all media cues that are visible on them are only rendered on the Virtual Tier. Then I assign the virtual displays media as textures on my 3D object.

If done correctly, it doesn't really matter how the virtual displays are placed in relation to the 3D object on the stage. But of course it helps the workflow if they are somewhat separated.

Hope this late answer helps.