Possible to Import Animation Data [from a layer in AE or baked anim. in an .FBX?]

blackmath

I’m looking for but not finding these functionalities:    [read two bold sentences below to get questions quick.]

I believe I’ve exhausted the manuals + training videos, as well as most user forums out there and am still at a loss.  

- how can I get X,Y,Z position data generated externally [say, in after effects] into Watchout, onto a layer’s position curve?  I need to ‘copy paste’, so to speak, position data from one application into Watchout, and I can’t seam to find the place under the hood to do it.   *I’m happy to do something complex like converting a string of numbers into DPX curve if that’s what it takes — so no worries if the solution is complicated.

- an alternative solution I’ve considered would be to import an animated .FBX into Watchout and simply apply a texture to that.  Currently, my FBXs are importing fine into Watchout, but none of the baked keyframe data is being imported.  Same with the other 3D formats you support, like Collada, which support embedded animation/keyframe data. So,my questions is: can 3D files that store animation data be imported into Watchout w/ that baked anim. data intact.   

- how can I get X,Y,Z position data generated externally [say, in after effects] into Watchout, onto a layer’s position curve?  I need to ‘copy paste’, so to speak, position data from one application into Watchout, and I can’t seam to find the place under the hood to do it.   *I’m happy to do something complex like converting a string of numbers into DPX curve if that’s what it takes — so no worries if the solution is complicated.

Hi,

In the second part of your question you ask about imports, so I assume you are asking about importing keyframe data while preparing a show. In some ways, it's actually easier to control a media cue's position externally by updating position data live over the network. If you want to paste in keyframes from another application I'm afraid that, at the moment, there's no direct way to do this that I know of. Since you're not afraid of complicated solutions, then try setting up a few position keyframes on a cue, then select them in the timeline and copy-paste into a text document. You'll see a bunch of keyframe data - a bit of scripting should make it possible to convert from your source application's format to the Watchout format. Gathering dust on my to-do list is a script to create & import easing curves to Watchout keyframes but, until I get around to that, maybe you should add your idea to the feature request thread.