Mapping multiple 3d objects

jamestech

Hello all.

I'm a newbie here so I apologise if this question has an obvious answer or has already been answered in a different thread. 

I've looked at the tutorials on the Watchout website and I still cannot answer my question. So....

Is it possible to map multiple objects individually or would they all need to be in the same 3D model. 

For example if I had an object centre stage, one stage left and one stage right. Could I then reposition these objects and realign the maps accordingly.

Again, apologies if this is obvious. I'm trying to workout if Watchout would be right for my projects.

Many thanks

James 

Hello all.

I'm a newbie here so I apologise if this question has an obvious answer or has already been answered in a different thread. 

I've looked at the tutorials on the Watchout website and I still cannot answer my question. So....

Is it possible to map multiple objects individually

Yes

or would they all need to be in the same 3D model. 

No

For example if I had an object centre stage, one stage left and one stage right. Could I then reposition these objects and realign the maps accordingly.

If I understand correctly, yes, you can independently position each 3D object when placing it on the stage.

While Jim's answers are correct, there are a few more aspects to keep in mind when mapping onto multiple objects. Especially if you're going to cover them all with the projectors:

1. Will there be enough focus depth range to cover the objects without loss of sharpness.

2. Will you be able to place the real-world objects accurately in relation to eachother exactly in the same way as the models are placed in WATCHOUT? If not, you may run into trouble calibrating the projector position to match all the individual objects.

Both these points will be easier if you use separate projectors for each object, as the projectors can then each be calibrated in relation to the object it is aimed at, as well as having to deal with shorter focus range.

Mike