Why low fps width Quadro k4200

zaharbaz

Hello

I use the Quadro k4200 videocard

In the specifications it is indicated that the card can work with 4 displays (using Mst)

Or 3 displays (2 DP + 1 DVI).

When I connect 3 displays, the maximum resolution I get is only 720p each. In this case, if I run 3 videos in 1080p, the Watchout have low fps, all videos width lag. (mp4/h264)

After I took another such card and unified it in the SLI, but did not notice an increase in performance.

Is this normal behavior for this graphics card or am I having problems?

Maybe the Watchout is not as well optimized with nvidia as with amd?

If this is the normal performance for this graphics card, can I sell these cards and buy one firepro?

Ideally, I would like to have 4 outputs in 1080p without lags, with adequate fps

my pc:

Intel Core i7

asus x99-a

ddr-3 16gb

ssd

Thank you and sorry for my eng

• Dataton Partner

zaharbaz,

I've not used the K4200 and it seems to be out of production for a while. The current professional cards would be M4000 and larger. We have tested the M4000 and found that with some codecs the card did not play the same number of videos as with a comparable AMD card while other codecs were ok.

What I notice is that you are using a mainboard with PCIe Gen. 3 while the card is PCIe Gen. 2 only. This is not a dramatic problem but your PCIe slot could deliver way more data than the card can process. On the other hand, WATCHOUT renders most video content on the CPU (which model are you using here?) and even rather small graphic cards can play 2-3 1080p60 signals if BIOS, drivers and physical ports allow for this.

I'm pretty sure that you have problems with your hardware installation and /or the drivers for your card. You should first try to generate your intended output resolutions from inside Windows alone - without WATCHOUT. If this works then chances are high that it also works with WATCHOUT. If it fails it will also fail with WATCHOUT.

Another point to look at is EDID management. All displays send their EDID data to the source computer and if they send wrong data the pairing between the graphic card and the monitor will not work as expected. We use external EDID minders whenever we use resolutions which are not the preferred resolution of a display. Newer graphic card drivers (AMD and Nvidea workstation models) allow EDID management inside the driver as well but take care with this if you are not too sure of what you're doing.

On the other hand, WATCHOUT renders most video content on the CPU (which model are you using here?) and even rather small graphic cards can play 2-3 1080p60 signals if BIOS, drivers and physical ports allow for this.

I use Core I7-5930K 3.5Ghz

Maybe this CPU slow for Watchout?

If i sell these cards and buy FirePro W8100, will i get disired 4 screens in 1920x1080 width ~50fps ?

• Dataton Partner

The i7-5930K is ok for most applications and should be fine for four outputs @ 1200p60.

The W8100 is a nice graphic card but probably a W7100 or WX7100 should be ok too.

We have built quite a few servers for our clients using the i7-5930K and a W7100 and all servers could play 4x fullHD without any problems as long as the videos are properly encoded.

I would suggest to look into the following points one after the other:

1. Can you set up your graphic card under Windows (without WATCHOUT) to send out 3x or 4x 1920x1080@50/60fps?
  2. Once this works, check your encoding to find the best settings to play 4x fullHD.

Other aspects influencing the playback of videos - not the graphic card capabilities - are the the correct tweaking of your system and the SSD setup.

We always use one drive for Windows only and at least a RAID-0 of two reliable SSD drives. Using a dedicated RAID card and more than 2 drives will increase the reading speed of your system and take load off the cpu. Or use a M.2 SSD instead.

1. Can you set up your graphic card under Windows (without WATCHOUT) to send out 3x or 4x 1920x1080@50/60fps?
  2. Once this works, check your encoding to find the best settings to play 4x fullHD.

For the test, I reproduced a 1080p (mp4 | h.264 | 10mbit/s) movie in three players (VLC, WMP, MPC) on three screens at the same time. Periodically I watched some lags or dissynchronization between parts of one screen. Unpleasant to the eyes.

Reproducing the same movie on three screens in Watchout, the lags became larger.

I have two such cards, I decided to sell them and buy one FirePro W8100. I hope I have time, for some reason they stopped selling.

I hope this is the right decision

For the test, I reproduced a 1080p (mp4 | h.264 | 10mbit/s) movie in three players (VLC, WMP, MPC) on three screens at the same time. Periodically I watched some lags or dissynchronization between parts of one screen. Unpleasant to the eyes.

Reproducing the same movie on three screens in Watchout, the lags became larger.

I have two such cards, I decided to sell them and buy one FirePro W8100. I hope I have time, for some reason they stopped selling.

I hope this is the right decision

I believe your lag in WATCHOUT is coming form the 10 mbit/s data rate. Way to low.

Bump that up to 25 mbit/s or 50 mbit/s per movie file and try again. Be sure to use CBR and do NOT allow B-frames.

Should clean that up.