Datapath FX4 w/ Watchout 6

Michael Voccola

We are looking into purchasing a Watchmax to drive a mosaic consisting of 12 different size monitors each with a native resolution of 1920x1080 and DisplayPort inputs. This means different pixel densities. The displays are also arranged in an abstract manner.

So I know from a pixel-space perspective it is possible to push 12x displays at the 1920x1080 resolution because driving four 4K displays is the same 33.2MP and, from what I understand, with DisplayPort 1.2a it is possible to send multiple streams via a single DP connection. I do not yet know if the monitors have DisplayPort loops, but if they do, or by using a DP splitter like this one, is it possible to connect and drive all 12 displays independently from a single Watchmax?

Understood. Is it possible to, with an AMD FirePro W7100 (4 outputs) and a DisplayPort splitter (like the one from the OP), drive 6 displays on a single machine?

Yes.

And the displays connected to the hubs show up in the display vendors control panels as discrete displays.

So they are just like displays connected directly to outputs as far as WATCHOUT is concerned.

That part is fairly straightforward.

Just be aware that all MST hubs aka MultiStream Transport hubs aka DisplayPort Splitters

are not created equal. I suspect all of them will work when first plugged in.

Long term stability may be another story.

Just be aware that all MST hubs aka MultiStream Transport hubs aka DisplayPort Splitters

are not created equal. I suspect all of them will work when first plugged in.

Long term stability may be another story.

I failed to ask on our phone call when we discussed this: Are there any recommended hubs at all which are known to work long-term?

Fortunately for this project, three of the twelve displays have DP loop-through. However; for future reference, it would be good to know of tried-and-true options for hubs as it is unusual that we are connecting to devices with DP input at all (never mind with loop). Usually everything is HDMI/DVI.

• Dataton Partner

I failed to ask on our phone call when we discussed this: Are there any recommended hubs at all which are known to work long-term?

Fortunately for this project, three of the twelve displays have DP loop-through. However; for future reference, it would be good to know of tried-and-true options for hubs as it is unusual that we are connecting to devices with DP input at all (never mind with loop). Usually everything is HDMI/DVI.

This is exactly the problem. It is not only unusual for you and that is why Dataton or the Premium Partners do not purchase a bunch of MST devices or displays with DP loop through just to test them. If Dataton would do that, the price for WATCHOUT would surely increase to cover the cost for all the devices Dataton would have to buy for testing. In addition to this, devices like MST hubs change very often so if we would test a certain device now it would for sure not be available anymore when the "long term stability test" is over.

If you use any sort of splitter behind the graphic card output the setup will not be visible to WATCHOUT. E.g. a MATROX triple head unit would appear as one oversized display to the graphic card and to WATCHOUT. You would therefore need to use virtual displays in WATCHOUT to define the real setup and map those onto real 2D displays. This will add to the load of a system.

Although it is unusual for most users to be interfacing with a DP destination with or without loop, the MST hub, if I understand this correctly, can still be used with standard DP->HDMI/DVI adapters. With that in mind, the MST hubs are still of great utility to most users and it may well be worth having some number of recommended/support hubs - even if it was a community-driven list or some sort.