Prores Compatibility

Hayesse

Hello all,

I am new to Watchout and learning as I go, so I appreciate any help from this community.

I am having an issue with Prores files not being recognized as video files. When I add a prores file into the media list it shows up as an audio track. When I add the the file to the timeline I get an error "Quicktime error: -2095"

Am I encoding my Prores files incorrectly? Below is the info for a file in question. I have tried this on multiple production computers installed on different hardware. 

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

-Sean

File: /Users/sh/Movies/SG Videos/Robe Pointe-Apple ProRes 422 HQ.mov

Size: 2.73 GB

Format: QuickTime/MPEG-4/Motion JPEG 2000 format

Stream count: 3

Duration: 00:00:55

Bit rate: 422914 kb/s

Meta info:

compatible_brands: qt  

minor_version: 0

creation_time: 2017-06-12 14:26:09

major_brand: qt  

Stream 0

Type: audio

Codec: pcm_s16be

FourCC: lpcm

Bit rate: 1536 kb/s

Sample rate: 48000 Hz

Sample format: s16

Channel: 2

Meta info:

handler_name: Core Media Data Handler

language: eng

Stream 1

Type: video

Codec: prores

FourCC: apch

Width: 1920

Height: 1080

Sample aspect ratio: 1:1

Display aspect ratio: 16:9

Pixel format: yuv422p10le

Frame rate: 59.95 fps

Bit rate: 421374 kb/s

Meta info:

language: und

Stream 2

Type: data

Meta info:

language: und

Which Watchout version are you using? Prores is not supported in releases earlier than Watchout 6. Our recommendation is usually to have separate files for audio and video. If you are running WO6, please try encoding to a file only containing the video and see if that makes a difference. 

Although prores is supported in Watchout, I would not recommend it for playback, since it is mainly an editing format. Quality is excellent, but files are quite big, and requires quite a lot of resources to decode. 

Watchout supports all currently available flavours of prores: 

422 Proxy

422 LT

422 Standard

422 HQ

4444 XQ

/Erik 

I do seem to recall a bug where Watchout would not play prores with audio if the audio stream was stream 0 and video stream 1. The other way around was ok, and I can see from your post above that the first stream is audio. I don't remember in which version this was fixed, but your file could very well be playable in a more recent Watchout version. 

If you absolutely need to have video and audio in the same file, try to switch the order of the streams so that video is first. Stream switching can easily be done in ffmpeg using the -map option without having to reencode:

ffmpeg -i input.mov -map 0:1 -map 0:0 -map 0:2 output.mov

will remap the file so that video is the first stream without reencoding. 

/Erik 

• 2 years later...

Hi all. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but interestingly I am experiencing the same issue on Watchout 6.4.

When importing a video file encoded as HAP or proRes with embedded audio it is identified as an audio file (just like above). When I attempt to play it (to see what happens) it throws the same error described (QuickTime error: -2095 ). If I strip out the audio it plays happily.

The audio is stream is 0, the video stream 1.

When I use ffmpeg to swap the streams around (video stream 0, audio stream 1) it does recognise it as a video and play the video component but no audio (interestingly, it can see there's audio there as it has the Output Channel Assignment tab visible on this video.

Does anyone know if the issue discussed above is a bug? I don't really have any problems with stripping audio into a different file, just on other some playback platforms I've used (QLAB) it is pretty crucial that the video has an embedded audio file to prevent sync drift between clips, so it's more a force of habit.