Error 7 0 "Application in modal state (eg, a modal dialog)"

tommysmartdrop

Hello, I'm building an application in which there are 2 major components:

1. a python server, which will send telnet commands to WATCHOUT
  2. WATCHOUT Production (Version 6.1.7b2)

Although most of the telnet commands were successfully sent to WATCHOUT, sometimes I could continuously see a mystery error which makes me feel a bit worried:

[0]Error 7 0 "Application in modal state (eg, a modal dialog)"

I've checked the documentation and the "7" here means:

• "General Runtime Error. Other errors, not covered by any of the above cases. Always described further by a string as the second parameter, as well as further information in the third parameter (optional)."

So I guess my questions are:

1. What does the "Application in modal state" mean?
  2. Is there anything that I should / should not do to avoid this error?

Thanks in advance!

... So I guess my questions are:

• What does the "Application in modal state" mean?
  • Is there anything that I should / should not do to avoid this error?...
Application in modal state means it thinks a modal dialog box is open.

(a modal dialog is one that locks out all other actions until it is closed)

Did this occur when executing a setInput command?

As you probably already know, that is not what is actually happening.

It was my understanding that even though the error message appears,

everything continues to work as it should. i.e. it is a phantom error.

That bug has been identified and I thought it was already fixed in an earlier release, but maybe not,

or maybe it crept back in the beta iono.gif

As Jim alludes, it indicates the applicaiton is in a modal dialog or similar modal state (e.g., in the midst of a drag-and-drop operation). This can only happen with the production software. It will happen if someone is actively operating the production software while you're sending commands from outside to it.

This is not an indication of a "bug" per se. It's an indication that the command could not be performed due to some application mode initiated by the local user. This "blocking" is done to avoid the jarring user experience that would otherwise ensue if an external command caused a timeline to jump while the local user was dragging media to drop onto a cue on that same timeline, or similar actions.

The only way to not get this error occasionally is to not operate the production PC at the same time.

Mike

As Jim alludes, it indicates the applicaiton is in a modal dialog or similar modal state (e.g., in the midst of a drag-and-drop operation). This can only happen with the production software. It will happen if someone is actively operating the production software while you're sending commands from outside to it.

This is not an indication of a "bug" per se. It's an indication that the command could not be performed due to some application mode initiated by the local user. This "blocking" is done to avoid the jarring user experience that would otherwise ensue if an external command caused a timeline to jump while the local user was dragging media to drop onto a cue on that same timeline, or similar actions.

The only way to not get this error occasionally is to not operate the production PC at the same time.

Mike

Hello Mike, thank you for your clear and helpful explanation.