W.O. Remote

MarkHoward

I was hoping to use WATCHOUT REMOTE on my iPhone or iPad, but have been unable to connect to the display computer.  I've been informed off-forum that this is due to a security feature of iOS10.  Indeed, WO Remote does work with an old iTouch running iOS4.x.   But it is a small display, and slow, and so not especially useful.  Meanwhile my shiny new iPad cannot connect  :(   Will this issue be addressed in a forthcoming WATCHOUT update?

Guest DavidA

Dear Mark,

this is due to changes in how security is handled in iOS 10. Safari requires a Secure Socket connection (HTTPS:// vs HTTP://).

http://app.dataton.com/remote

This link should be ok and will work direct in Safari and as a web app on the home screen.

Best regards,

David

Thank you for providing this link.  Now I can connect via my iPad or iPhone running iOS 10.3.2 but the app is not stable.

• When I load a show, if I select any of the items on the "Control" screen, (timelines, cues, conditions, or messages) I cannot navigate back to the previous menu using the "Control" button at the top left.  The app just hangs.  I can recover only by pressing the Home button on the iPad, but doing so exits WO Remote and places me at the home screen.
  • Also the "Back" button on the "About" splash screen doesn't work.
  • If I select a show that was already loaded, a busy symbol appears but the show never loads.
  • At the "Control" level, the name of the show is not displayed, only control cue names (if any exist).
  • I am experiencing an additional problem with the iPad;  the wifi frequently disconnects (Message: "Network connection closed unexpectedly").  This doesn't happen on the iPhone, only the iPad.  Both devices are running the same iOS 10.3.2 and the same version of the WO Remote app from the link provided in previous post.

• ... I am experiencing an additional problem with the iPad;  the wifi frequently disconnects (Message: "Network connection closed unexpectedly").  This doesn't happen on the iPhone, only the iPad.  Both devices are running the same iOS 10.3.2 and the same version of the WO Remote app from the link provided in previous post.

I experience that with my iPad all the time, completely unrelated to WATCHOUT remote.

I have attributed that to the fact I am running a four and a half year old iPad

with the most up to date iOS (10.3.2).

Apple seems to be less concerned about compatibility / stability

the older the hardware gets as iOS updates to newer and newer revisions.

Seems to get much worse after about 3 years, the system becomes significantly slower than it was on earlier iOS versions.

And all the new features that seem to add to the bloat do not work on the old hardware anyway. Go figure.

It's a new iPod, although jfk's analysis may still be true.  But...it doesn't disconnect from other WiFi sources, so I'm thinking that particular problem is either related to my local WATCHOUT WiFi connection, or the remote software.  Other devices (like my iPhone and old iTouch) connect to this WiFi network with no issues or dropped connections.

All the other "buggy" issues I mentioned in initial post are shared by both my iPhone and iPad.

Hmm, would be nice if the version number updated with the recent changes, still reads 2.0 

WO_Remote_2_0-iOS10_3_2-version-loaded_3

And as Mark pointed out, under iOS 10.3.2, once you view About to see the version number, you are stuck there.  :(

Thank you for providing this link.  Now I can connect via my iPad or iPhone running iOS 10.3.2 but the app is not stable.

• When I load a show, if I select any of the items on the "Control" screen, (timelines, cues, conditions, or messages) I cannot navigate back to the previous menu using the "Control" button at the top left.  The app just hangs.  I can recover only by pressing the Home button on the iPad, but doing so exits WO Remote and places me at the home screen.
  • Also the "Back" button on the "About" splash screen doesn't work.
  • If I select a show that was already loaded, a busy symbol appears but the show never loads.
  • At the "Control" level, the name of the show is not displayed, only control cue names (if any exist).
  • I am experiencing an additional problem with the iPad;  the wifi frequently disconnects (Message: "Network connection closed unexpectedly").  This doesn't happen on the iPhone, only the iPad.  Both devices are running the same iOS 10.3.2 and the same version of the WO Remote app from the link provided in previous post.

Ok, I just tested my 4-1/2 yer old iPad and 1/2 year old iPhone, both running iOs 10.3.2

I accessed the referenced link, placed the page in Safari on the "Home Screen",

quit Safari. and then ran all my tests with Safari closed.

WO_Remote_2_0-iOS10_3_2-standalone_task.

When I load a show, if I select any of the items on the "Control" screen, (timelines, cues, conditions, or messages) I cannot navigate back to the previous menu using the "Control" button at the top left.  The app just hangs.  I can recover only by pressing the Home button on the iPad, but doing so exits WO Remote and places me at the home screen.

Yes, I experience the same thing, both devices.

While stuck on the Control page's subpage (Timelines, Cues, Conditions, Messages)

the options on those pages continue to function. 

Seems when the links were updated from http to https some of them were missed? iono.gif

If I select a show that was already loaded, a busy symbol appears but the show never loads.

I experienced something like that, however,

the show that was being selected failed to load due to a "Display Specifications Mismatch",

and I was stuck on the load page (since no show had successfully loaded).

Once I corrected that hardware issue, WATCHOUT Remote began working as expected.

Your experience may be something else though.

• 1 month later...

It has been just over a month since asking, so I'll ask again...Is Watchout Remote still being developed and will it be able to run on iOS 10.x?  As noted in this thread, the link provided by the administrator works, but is not stable.  If this issue is not going to be resolved, I need to find another method for controlling WATCHOUT remotely.  Using an iPad seemed at first to be an ideal solution.

It has been just over a month since asking, so I'll ask again...Is Watchout Remote still being developed and will it be able to run on iOS 10.x?  As noted in this thread, the link provided by the administrator works, but is not stable.  If this issue is not going to be resolved, I need to find another method for controlling WATCHOUT remotely.  Using an iPad seemed at first to be an ideal solution.

Normally I would not discuss other software on a developer's forum, but I haven't had a stable WORemote experience in years. No judgement, Dataton; dancing around Apple's IOS development roadmap is a general nightmare. 

We use Octopus almost exclusively now for all Watchout and related show control: http://noismada.com/

User guide here: http://octopusapp.net/

Requires you to have a mac in the mix, and adds another stage of programming, but we've found it to be thoroughly stable. While there is a built in webserver to serve control pages to any connected device on the network, we use Duet on the mac and hardwire the control iPad. 

Cheers,

Will

Guest DavidA

Mark & Co, 

we don’t actively develop the WO remote “app” anymore. It will stop working completely on devices running updated versions of IOS/Android and browsers in the near future.  We recommend using WATCHNET as it will cover most needs. 

1) WO Remote app (in its current state) will not be actively maintained and developed. It will stop working.
2) Use WATCHNET instead, it cover most requirements.

Timeline readout is available in WATCHNET 1.4, but we do not offer a countdown functionality.

I would also point out that WATCHNET much more additional functionality over the remote app such as show management, scheduling, scripting, user level restricitions, and the ability to customise which controls are available and how they look.

Best regards,

David / Dataton

• 2 weeks later...