WATCHOUT 6.2 Bugs

Jason H Thompson

When I double click on a show file (created in 6.1.6) after running the Watchout 6.2 installer, it tries to run the installer file.  If I use the Watchout Production shortcut and open the show file that way, it opens as intended.  I also had to add the .exe extension to the installer file I downloaded to get it to run.

Hi, this is a slightly embarrassing error in the installer resulting that .watch extensions are not associated with WATCHOUT. We corrected this and replaced the installer. Uninstall WATCHOUT, get the updated installer and install again.

Your missing .exe extension problem seems a bit odd. Haven't seen that one before. What browser and OS are you using?

When I double click on a show file (created in 6.1.6) after running the Watchout 6.2 installer, it tries to run the installer file.  If I use the Watchout Production shortcut and open the show file that way, it opens as intended.

Thank you for reporting this, Jason! We have sent information to all who downloaded the installer file with this problem to make them aware of the problem. 

Best regards, 

David 

Hi, if you get a warning that "Multi channel audio renderer is not available" this indicates that WATCHOUT wasn't properly installed. This can occur if you update the WATCHOUT version on the display server through the production computer without running WATCHOUT (WATCHPOINT) as admin on the display server.

Solution to this problem:

1. Uninstall WATCHOUT on the display server
  2. Install WATCHOUT 6.2 on the display server

In the update process of WATCHOUT 6.2, important components needs to be installed and without administrative rights this is not possible. The installer elevates it's privileges to get administrative rights but WATCHOUT doesn't (because this involves user interaction which might be hard on the display server). Therefore it's recommended to run WATCHOUT on the display server (WATCHPOINT.EXE) with administrative rights in order to get the remote software update working correctly. Otherwise files will get copied but not installed.

Here's another bug which I'm not sure others are experiencing.

Opening a simple one media item .watch file (originally created in 6.2), the Production interface will start up, but hangs trying to populate the various windows. I have to stop Production with Task Manager, go the folder and delete the particular show cache, then .watch file will open properly. Occurs regardless whether the .watch file is opened with Production's startup interface, or by clicking on the .watch file itself. Does not occur with v6.1.6.

Thomas Leong

Thomas, compared to 6.1.6 the selected audio device is initialized as well as the NDI listener (so it can populate the combo box with available NDI devices).

If your selected audio device is broken or has a damaged driver then the production interface could hang or crash on startup. In this case it would help to disconnect the problematic audio device and try to open WATCHOUT again.

What type of media item does your show file contain? What you also can do is to check the Window's event viewer and look for clues under Windows Logs->Application.

• 3 weeks later...

Thomas, compared to 6.1.6 the selected audio device is initialized as well as the NDI listener (so it can populate the combo box with available NDI devices).

If your selected audio device is broken or has a damaged driver then the production interface could hang or crash on startup. In this case it would help to disconnect the problematic audio device and try to open WATCHOUT again.

What type of media item does your show file contain? What you also can do is to check the Window's event viewer and look for clues under Windows Logs->Application.

Sorry Miro, I seem to have missed your reply. I have since deleted the .watch file and not tested again. It was using a layout preset too and a 3d.obj file, so I can't say what caused my problem then.

If you could check another problem I found today with 6.2 using Corner Tween on 3 small video .mp4 files trying to map each file to a basic 3-sided cube. On adding a second video with Corner Tween to the Stage and playing (the two videos - first and second), this second video starts to blink and add artifacts to other areas of the Stage Display. Adding the third video to the other face of the cube does not solve it. Tested only on Production PC, not online to Display PC. I then recreated the scenario with 6.1.6 and all three videos each with Corner Tween mapped nicely to the cube. No blinking, no artifacts.

Thomas

Sorry Miro, I seem to have missed your reply. I have since deleted the .watch file and not tested again. It was using a layout preset too and a 3d.obj file, so I can't say what caused my problem then.

If you could check another problem I found today with 6.2 using Corner Tween on 3 small video .mp4 files trying to map each file to a basic 3-sided cube. On adding a second video with Corner Tween to the Stage and playing (the two videos - first and second), this second video starts to blink and add artifacts to other areas of the Stage Display. Adding the third video to the other face of the cube does not solve it. Tested only on Production PC, not online to Display PC. I then recreated the scenario with 6.1.6 and all three videos each with Corner Tween mapped nicely to the cube. No blinking, no artifacts.

Thomas

Hi Miro,

Apologies. Please ignore the above re Corner Tween artifacts in 6.2. Tested on another Production PC today, and it was not there. Then remembered that the first PC had an old graphics card in it. So that was probably the problem.

Thomas

Hello

Just upgraded to 6.2.1 from 6.2.0 

I am running a few simple tests.

I have found that Watchout is not seeing the audio embeded on a HAP file that i used with the previous version fine

I realise the work around is to split off a seperate wav file but I am curious why its not working.

I had the opposite problem in 6.2.0 where Watchout did not read or recognize audio on a pro res file

Now the pro res audio is playing but the Hap is not.

I re encoded the pro res to Hap through adobe media encoder and the quicktime HAP codec.

Cheers

Ben

Watchout tech FMAV