Problems with HAP decode ... Watchout not using correct codec

joeyraia

Hi all,

On one of our production machines, ever since updating to 6.2, videos encoded with HAP appeared pink in color on the Stage window.  Uninstalling and installing 6.1.x and the problem goes away.  The same issue happens with 6.2.1.

Looking into it, I saw we had previously installed the HAP codecs from Vidvox ... if I uninstall this, and try to import a HAP encoded video in Watchout I get an error:

"Proper decoder for this type of video stream not found. But trial version of this product does not support compressed output.

Please contact MediaLooks to obtain a demo license to play such files"

The error title is from "QuickTime DirectShow Source"

... so pretty confusing.

If I then reinstall the Vidvox HAP codecs I get the same results as mentioned above ... proper playback in 6.1.x, and a pink video image in 6.2.x.

So my guess seems to be that Watchout is not using the HAP decoder that it installs and is looking to that other location ... regardless of uninstalling / reinstalling Watchout, etc. 

Also confusing is what changed between 6.1.x and 6.2.x where HAP playback suddenly got the pink overcoating. 

Registry problem?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Also side note:  We need to have HAP encoders on this same computer as it is also running Sony Vegas which is encoding our media with HAP. 

Thanks again,

Joe

(Hope I wasn't being too confusing)

Is there anything else besides video in the Hap file (audio track(s) for example)? I have managed to reproduced similar issues with Hap files containing audio in Watchout 6.2.1. Is the Hap movie stored in a .mov-file or something else? 

What happens in your case is probably that Watchout fails to play the Hap file using the normal playback mechanism, and when this fails, it reverts to trying to play the file through Quicktime instead. 

Regarding the pink colors for HapQ, have you ever seen it on a display computer, or is it only in the production software? Do you see the pink colors when displaying the actual movie (Best Quality preview) or only when you have selected "Video as thumbnails"?

One last reason I can think of is if you are trying to play a HapQ+alpha files, which is currently not supported in Watchout. As of now, Watchout supports Hap, HapAlpha and HapQ.

/Erik 

Hi Erik,

Thanks for getting back to me!

The Hap move is stored in a .mov and we're using HapQ ... not Alpha.  We're viewing in "Best Quality" on the stage window.  I haven't tried this on a online machine yet ... just production. 

Another thing I didn't mention ... I installed 6.2.1 on a different computer and it played back the same HapQ encoded .mov fine in the Stage window.  

Also, this happens only with Hap encoded files ... Avi, mpeg, have no problems. 

Seems that somehow on this particular machine Watchout wants to use a different codec for decoding.   The file was encoded on this machine ... is it possible the file was 'tagged'to use this decoder?   Also, I wonder what changed between 6.1.x and 6.2.x where this same file(s) would play back fine then get that pink overtone when moving to 6.2.x.

Should I try uninstalling Quicktime?

Thanks again,

Joe

Is there anything else besides video in the Hap file (audio track(s) for example)? I have managed to reproduced similar issues with Hap files containing audio in Watchout 6.2.1. Is the Hap movie stored in a .mov-file or something else? 

What happens in your case is probably that Watchout fails to play the Hap file using the normal playback mechanism, and when this fails, it reverts to trying to play the file through Quicktime instead. 

Regarding the pink colors for HapQ, have you ever seen it on a display computer, or is it only in the production software? Do you see the pink colors when displaying the actual movie (Best Quality preview) or only when you have selected "Video as thumbnails"?

One last reason I can think of is if you are trying to play a HapQ+alpha files, which is currently not supported in Watchout. As of now, Watchout supports Hap, HapAlpha and HapQ.

/Erik 

Are the files video only or video+audio? There is an issue with hap files containing audio in 6.2 and 6.2.1

I have received a few reports about pink color in HapQ videos in the production software, but never in the display software, but I have not been able to successfully reproduce the issue here. 

I don't think the files can be tagged to use a certain brand of the decoder. Uninstalling Quicktime would probably make no difference, except that Watchout would not be able to play the files at all, instead of using the wrong decoder. That said, it could at least be worth testing. 

/Erik 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Dataton Partner

After de-installing QT or other codec packs - which should not be installed anyway as described in the tweaking lists -, have you re-installed WATCHOUT again?

Installing a driver pack will most probably steal the codec assignment from WATCHOUT's codecs in the registry and just de-installing the third-party codecs will not correct the registry settings automatically again.

• 2 months later...

Following this thread. Uploaded 9 files with 3 files playing on Server 1, 3 files on Server 2, and 3 files on Server 3. All files were generated the same way... that is to say, outputted from Premiere Pro as ProRes 4444 then converted in Adobe Media Encoder using the Disguise HAP plugin to HAP. Files on Server 1 and 3 are blown out and have a pink tinge. Files on Server 2 play file. What really confuses me is that a different set of media on Server 1 and Server 3 play fine although in those cases the output was from FCPX to ProRes 422 then into Adobe Media Encoder for HAP.

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, Richard Kenyon said:

Make sure you don't have the K-Lite codec pack installed. After much trial and error I found this to be the conflict with HAP caching and playback in Watchout.

I don't think it's cache related.  Watchout uses Directshow.  If you install the K-Lite codec pack, this codec will install a different Directshow along with it.  Watchout may want to use the codec pack instead of Windows' built-in Directshow.  That will cause problems.