Pause cue

ZaakQC

Thsi was probably asked before.

When the Pause Cue button is flush with a media, please make it so that the media associated does not show on screen. 99.8761 % of the time we, users, dont want to see the image, its a pause in order to send the media on cue.  When I am doing a télévision show I am working for at them moment, I recieve medias, then I have  2 hours to make my sequence that is complex enough. Then reharsal. Then between 1 and 2 hours to make sur all is corrected from reharsal. After than it's crazy live time with 6 task, multiple medias cues etc.

So in rush, sometimes my pause cue end flush with my media and I always have to worry about this possibility that has desastrous consequences for the live show! It happend last week. IT vas very embarassing.  Please correct this.

• Dataton Partner

It's just a matter of placing the cue at the right position. We usually place a pause cue 0.2 sec before the next media starts. This normally makes sure that the next media does not show up on screen unintendedly. If you place the cue at e.g. 10.000 and the next media starts at 10.000 it will surely be visible and it has to since it starts at that time.

If people are upset by the results of their current process then it would make since to ask for an additional 10 to 15 minutes of YOU time, to let you go through your cues and make sure they are placed in their proper position before the show begins.   That seems like a reasonable request to eliminate errors.  

Well, life does not always work like that. Sometimes there are last minute changes needed. We use watchout for live shows and tv shows recording. Can't always stop the show. And there is no problem with that. It's not hard to have the cue not show the next image if it ends flush. It even makes lots of sense. It makes our life easyer and makes us work faster. Snap magne and not show next video. That is the purpose of a pause. Not to show the next video right away. Better worklow. Saves time and worries. 

Snap back may be a symptom of out of sync servers and may be indicative of network issues, where TCP/IP is working correctly and UDP is not.

Not always, but should be checked carefully.

• Dataton Partner
19 hours ago, ZaakQC said:

Well, life does not always work like that. Sometimes there are last minute changes needed. We use watchout for live shows and tv shows recording. Can't always stop the show. And there is no problem with that. It's not hard to have the cue not show the next image if it ends flush. It even makes lots of sense. It makes our life easyer and makes us work faster. Snap magne and not show next video. That is the purpose of a pause. Not to show the next video right away. Better worklow. Saves time and worries. 

Still, even in a rush, its so little effort to work neat and efficient. You don’t have to move the pause cue or media cue around. Just snap, double click the media cue and type X.1 in the time position field. (X being the actual second where pause cue is, or vice versa). 

Personally i tend to use short opacity fades on the beginning of my cues, so media can sort of preload, but that’s kind of a heritage from the old days where that was needed (old graphic cards, bad codecs etc). In your environment I understand you don’t want to go that route. 

Let me clearly state I hope your request doesn’t get processed as I don’t understand the problem and as was said above, it’s the entire point of timeline based cueing. If a media cue is placed at 1 second in the timeline, it makes sense it’s visible once the timeline hits the 1 second mark, doesn’t it? In this case it’s a 2 or 3 second action : double click the pause cue, type 0.9 and press enter. Tadaaaahhh... 

• 4 months later...

ZaakQC does have a good point. We all work under the gun with very rigid deadlines. It would be far more effective if WatchOut just built the show for us so we would not have to trouble ourselves with daily annoyances like efficient workflows and software/show cue comprehension. This also mitigates the risk of end operator error and transfers show liability directly to the software environment. In the age of disappearing end-user accountability, I see this as the most logical next step in cue evolution. Please note the thick sarcasm :)

For those of us still stuck in the mundane world of analog show building, I find that placing media on whole seconds with the preceding pause cue placed 0.1 second before is an effective way to go. If every cue was created following this recipe, hasty edits in the show can be easily discovered by stepping through each cue and noting the time. Until Dataton can focus more of its energy on creating algorithms to build a show, I guess we are stuck with the burden of understanding the software and cue environment to form sensible workflow habits... Annoying!

Thick sarcasm done. :)

On 3/4/2018 at 8:24 PM, ZaakQC said:

99.8761 % of the time we, users, dont want to see the image, its a pause in order to send the media on cue.

Are you really speaking for the entire WO user base here? Because I have been using WO since 2002 and I have never heard a user that expects a cue to not load its first frame when flush to the playhead. I - for one - would be strongly opposed to that idea. If you need to it to pre-load, that is what things like the pre-load field in the cue is for. It sounds like you are more interested in a program that works from a vertical cue stack, rather than a timeline. Don't get me wrong - I too wish there was a vertical cue stack feature inherent in the production software. But that is a completely different argument. Anyone who has edited video, using compositing software like After Effects, etc... - all of which the timeline aspect of WO is derived from - expects a cue on a layer to render a frame when the playhead is parked at the front. That is a pretty basic property of timeline based editing. Please user base - correct me where I am wrong!!

• Dataton Partner
2 hours ago, JJ Myers said:

Nope, I second your opinion strongly! Would be really confusing if a file wouldn’t show when it hits the first frame. After all, I always sell WO as being basically a non-linear editing programme but without the need for pre-rendering and this behavior would really be out of line (and all reality). 

Feels like TS is referring to something like QLAB or such which is a total different kind of ballgame with its lack of timeline (although I love using it whenever convenient)