Dataton Forum
jfhopgood

Watchpax 2 not discovered

Hi all,

I'm new to Watchout, so I might be missing something incredibly simple, but I can't seem to discover a Watchpax 2 attached to my system. I have tried both a direct connection with an Ethernet cable between my production computer and the Watchpax and also using a router. In both cases, the device does not show up in the Network window. Any tips?

15 hours ago, jfhopgood said:

Hi all,

I'm new to Watchout, so I might be missing something incredibly simple, but I can't seem to discover a Watchpax 2 attached to my system. I have tried both a direct connection with an Ethernet cable between my production computer and the Watchpax and also using a router. In both cases, the device does not show up in the Network window. Any tips?

You must have a valid display connected before powering the WATCHPAX 2 on. Also, connect your network before powering on to avoid any confusion.

Once it is powered on, confirm you see an amber or green network presence LED  illuminated (above the network port to the left of the connector). The network presence LED color indicates network speed.

WATCHPAX2_network_LED.jpg

(A yellow LED may also flash on the top right to indicate network activity).

Next, what is the IP address and WATCHOUT name shown in the startup logo screen?

WATCHPAX2-startup_logo-622.png

In the above example photo, the WATCHPAX 2 is running Version 6.2.2, the #3362 is the Dataton Type Number indicating it is a WATCHPAX 2, the 10524 is its serial number, wp2_jfk2.Main is its WATCHOUT_name.cluster_name, 169.254.129.86 is its self assigned IP address and the number 2 indicates it is output 2 (if only one display is connected, the output number will not appear).

2 hours ago, jfk said:

You must have a valid display connected before powering the WATCHPAX 2 on. Also, connect your network before powering on to avoid any confusion.

Once it is powered on, confirm you see an amber network presence LED  illuminated (above the network port to the left of the connector).

WATCHPAX2_network_LED.jpg

(A yellow LED may also flash on the top right to indicate network activity).

Next, what is the IP address and WATCHOUT name shown in the startup logo screen?

It's alos important the first time you connect a Watchpax to a network to use a  DHCP sever to give him a valid IP address. Than you can setup in the Watchpax a fix IP address if you need it. 

8 hours ago, Quim said:

It's alos important the first time you connect a Watchpax to a network to use a  DHCP sever to give him a valid IP address. Than you can setup in the Watchpax a fix IP address if you need it. 

A DHCP server is not required. Any Windows device set to DHCP  (including a new WATCHPAX' default setup) on a network with no DHCP server will self assign an address in the 169.254.x.x range with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask.

With a new WATCHPAX, you will need to set your Production machine NIC to DHCP as well, so the two can communicate.