MIDI drop

stiegzinator

We've been having an intermittent issue in one of our spaces. So far, it hasn't caused any show issues, but it's more of an annoyance for the operators. We're triggering WATCHOUT using MSC from an ETC light board using a MIDI gateway on the lighting network. The MIDI gateway is connected to a MIDIMan MIDISport 2x2 anniversary addition interface that is connected to the production computer. The intermittent problem we're having is that MSC will just stop working. The solution we've found is to power cycle the gateway, close WATCHOUT, unplug and replug the Midiman, and reopen the WATCHOUT show file. We've only ever had to do this at either startup where it doesn't work from the beginning, but we've occasionally had it go out on us during checkout where it worked and then stopped working.

Some people think the problem is stemming from the lighting system, but we've simplified the lighting network, updated the boards, tried with both an EOS and an ION, updated the gateway's firmware, and even tried a different gateway, and we've still had the issue. Other people believe that the problem is stemming with video's MIDI interface. On the Watchout side, we've updated software, swapped production computers, and tried a different MIDIman, and still have had the issue.

The biggest frustration about the whole thing is that it seems to be tied to that space, since our other space has the exact same setup and has never had an issue. We've been dealing with it for several years, going back to WATCHOUT 5, with our workarounds, but I've finally found some time where I can dive into this problem further, and I'm bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out what's causing the issue. I'm going to swap out our MIDI interface for a Midisport UNO, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue before or have any explanations as to what might be going on.

We had a similar problem and it turned out to be an under-powered USB port, so try switching where your interface is plugged in.  A faster reset is to go into preferences and un-click midi control, close preferences, then open and re-click midi control.  But I'd try switching the USB first!

Good luck.

Tony

On 4/13/2018 at 11:18 AM, artLab said:

We had a similar problem and it turned out to be an under-powered USB port, so try switching where your interface is plugged in.  A faster reset is to go into preferences and un-click midi control, close preferences, then open and re-click midi control.  But I'd try switching the USB first!

Good luck.

Tony

I'll give it a try, but since we've had the issue with 2 separate display computers, I'm not sure changing which USB port it's coming out of will change anything, but who knows.