? What would be the best solution for multiple timelines with separate audio?

Ferenc Dobos

Good morning,

We'll be doing a gig next week with watchout and just been informed, that we'll need to have audio on some of the videos. It's like an "interactive" exhibition - midi triggered video playbacks in separate rooms on LED walls and projectors using 16 video output channels on 4 display computers. Each area has a separate midi trigger and the audio should only play on designated speakers. 

I read some of the audio related topics, but not sure what would be our solution. As I understood the best way would be to have separate audio files and a multichannel audio interface.

Can I route stereo audio channels to  on a multichannel audio interface? Like audio for screen 1 go to channel 1, screen 2 to channel 2 etc.

The timelines will be triggered randomly (people walk in, button push etc), how would I need to set it up for the audio to match the video?

Where would be the best to connect the audio interface? Production laptop or one of the display pc?

8 hours ago, Ferenc Dobos said:

... Can I route stereo audio channels to  on a multichannel audio interface? Like audio for screen 1 go to channel 1, screen 2 to channel 2 etc.

Yes, version 6.2+ has a full audio matrix switch for each audio file. Up to 24 channels per display computer are available.

The timelines will be triggered randomly (people walk in, button push etc), how would I need to set it up for the audio to match the video?

The audio should be on the same aux timeline with each video.

Where would be the best to connect the audio interface? Production laptop or one of the display pc?

Definitely the display computers. Does not have to be just one (although it can be if you choose), you can use any or all of them. Each audio file (cue) can be independently assigned to a display computer.

As for the  production computer, your best plan would be to execute the playback without the production computer in the system.

• Dataton Partner

Do to licensing issues, WATCHOUT has no Dante software built in but there are numerous users and installations using Dante Virtual Audio in WATCHOUT display servers. Up to 24 channels are supported per display server.