Image Sequence TGA vs Tiff

ZackPittman

Guest DavidA

Hi!

Raw TGA will perform better than Tiff (needs conversion from RGB to BGR), and make sure you are using TGA without run-length encoding compression. I have also updated the text on the web. 

Best regards, 
David

David Aleksandersen
Commercial Support Manager
Dataton AB

+46 70 552 32 30
david@dataton.se
www.dataton.com

As a fist formula I found out the following scenarios to work best for us:

Up to 3x layers of 4K video I use tiff because of the file size. 3x 4K tiff @1200mb/s = 3600MB/s = single 8 lanes pcie SSD or dual u.2 / pcie x4 SSD

To use 4x layers of 4K video I use tga because of the better performance 4x4K tga(a) @1600mb/s= 6400MB/s = dual pcie 8 lanes ssd

So the better performance comes with the price that you need nearly double SSD bandwith. For HD layers I count 1x4k layer as it would be 4 hd layers:

Its possible to playback 4x4K tga without problems and modern SSDs become more and more afforable.

Keep in mind that there should be at least 30% overhead to the given specs of the SSD read speed for smooth playback. Have a look at your pcie lanes!

NVME storage is also important when uploading to machines. Theres a significant difference between SATA raids and NVME while uloading!