Can WATCHOUT see Dante Virtual Sound Card as more than 2 channels

mindopera

Has anyone successfully outputted multi channels of audio out of Dante Virtual Sound (DVS) card using WATCHOUT?   I am doing a large museum exhibit that has its audio system set up using a Dante and I have six channels of audio that I’m trying to push from a WO server computer using the Date Virtual Sound card, which is digital audio over IP using a second NIC on the WO server PC.   I have done multichannel analog audio with WO many times, but using Dante and WO I can only access one stero pair at the same time.  In the WATCHPOINT software on the server computer I can pull the audio device menu down and see 16 channels (8 stereo pairs) of Dante audio but since they’re all separate I can only access one stereo set.

Has anyone successfully accessed all the channels using DVS?   If you have, can you help me understand how to accomplish this?  It would be much appreciated even if it requires me purchasing additional hardware.
Thanks

I just want to say with the help of fellow WO designer Sean Fluster and my onsite audio team I was able to get Dante Virtual Sound Card completely working with 8 separate channels in WO.   I intend on writing a full report about how to accomplish this because it is a very useful audio tool, but I am moving to the next project so it might be a few weeks before I get it written down.

the good news is that it can be done and it just takes a little finessing.

stay tuned

Guest DavidA

Thanks, mindopera! 

We are looking forward learning your take on Dante. Note that we are also working on an informational document to cover the use of Dante in WATCHOUT. 

Best regards, 
David

David Aleksandersen
Commercial Support Manager
Dataton AB

+46 70 552 32 30
david@dataton.se
www.dataton.com

• 3 years later...
HI!

I ran into an interesting mistake (at least for me). I work in a theater in Hungary, where audio and video are treated separately for the time being. I tried to test together, connected a Watchout 6.5 / dante virtual soundcard (laptop) to a system (without DHCP), a watchpax 20 device and a yamaha rio 32/24 i / o box, they saw each other perfectly and on the main timeline the sound worked perfectly on 8 channels, but if i used it on the auxiliary timeline then only the first two dante channels were willing to sound. Is this a bug  or could I have spoiled something? has anyone encountered a similar error?

I did this test for 1 week temporarily because I was just wondering if I could put them together (the next step would be to set the fixed ip addresses in the system). I know the file on the timeline needs to be set which dante audio channel to use, so that wasn’t the problem, I set them from 1 to 8. However, I will put the system together again sometime in the near future for more serious testing, and then I will pay more attention to this multi-band problem ...