HAP Codec with AfterCodecs - Poor results

lightengine

HI all,

We have recently been through the misery of having the HAP codec family removed from the Adobe suite and started to use the third party plugin AfterCodecs for our HAP renders. We noticed a drop in quality from what we are normally used to with the HAP family. We did a few tests and rolled back a version of Media Encoder that still supported HAP and found that we got much better quality file that what was produced from AfterCodecs from the same source file. Is anyone else using AfterCodecs and if so is anyone seeing this? 

PR

Hi -  I always use HAP, and with excellent result. But I always render out from After Effects.Why? It gives me a better control of the end result. I still believe you can render out to HAP, directly from AE, but I forgot to renew my license ? so I can't check at the moment.

Best regards Christian

Info about the problem with Adobe Creative Cloud 2018 concerning HAP / QTKit-Support (April-Update CC 2018):

If you miss the HAP-Family or H.264 from the Quicktime-Component please install the "downgrade" via the Creative Cloud Desktop App:
Premiere Pro CC 2018: 12.0.1
AfterEffects CC 2018: 15.0.1
MediaEncoder CC 2018: 12.0.1
Then you have all the known options.

These options are gone with 12.1.1 / 15.1.1. So watch out for the small .0 at the second position...
Win and Mac are identical here, except for ProRes-Family on Mac of course.

For your orientation attached you find a screenshot with arrows:
Green = also avail in the new version after April update
Orange = not avail but replacement
Red = missing and bad
Generally there is a "native" H.264 encoder in AdobeMediaEncoder (but not as render target in AfterEffects >  render AE Comp via AME) so you don't need the Quicktime-Component for this anyway.

The only real "showstopper at the moment is HAP/Q/Alpha so for this you need to stay on .0 for so long or search for other tools.

Thanks to @jochri for the hint some time ago.

ame-1201-osx-1011-codecs-quicktime-1.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 10.26.09.png

On 7/5/2018 at 9:05 AM, lightengine said:

HI all,

We have recently been through the misery of having the HAP codec family removed from the Adobe suite and started to use the third party plugin AfterCodecs for our HAP renders. We noticed a drop in quality from what we are normally used to with the HAP family. We did a few tests and rolled back a version of Media Encoder that still supported HAP and found that we got much better quality file that what was produced from AfterCodecs from the same source file. Is anyone else using AfterCodecs and if so is anyone seeing this? 

PR

Well, I would just try to keep that Version as long as possible. Or until Adobe brings back support for HAP or Apple makes „Quicktime great again“.

I am wondering why there are so many codecs and so little one can really use.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:09 PM, Alex Ramos said:

Not really the answer you looking for.

I'm using ffmpeg to encode HAP and MPEG2.

Its free, quality is good, its supper fast and best of all I have it on the file contextual menu from windows, just a right click on the file to encode.

Hi Alex, I now believe that 'AfterCodecs' plug-in uses ffmpeg as it's back end encoder which is interesting. Have you ever had the chance to test the difference in quality compared to HAP renders direct from After Effects or Media Encoder?  That's where we are seeing an issue.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:18 AM, Vollmers said:

Hi -  I always use HAP, and with excellent result. But I always render out from After Effects.Why? It gives me a better control of the end result. I still believe you can render out to HAP, directly from AE, but I forgot to renew my license ? so I can't check at the moment.

Best regards Christian

Hi Christian,  Looks like it's time to brush up on what Adobe are up to with their latest updates... ?