Display order on multi outputs single card

marklian

Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out how dataton assign it’s outputs.

I know it has something to do with the way windows api work. 

Is there a way/hack to force the output order? Kind of pain to unplug and replug each outputs on each machine when the outputs don’t go in sequence. 

I’m on windows 10 with wx9100 +s400 sync. 

Thanks! 

On 8/5/2018 at 1:59 AM, marklian said:

Hi all,

I’m trying to figure out how dataton assign it’s outputs.

The assignments are performed by Windows and the graphics card driver.

I know it has something to do with the way windows api work. 

Correct

Is there a way/hack to force the output order?

Depends on the graphics card. With AMD FirePro professional card, the AMD driver has a provision to software emulate EDID and when you do this correctly it also locks the output assignments. i suspect nVidia has an equivalent, but not certain of that.

Kind of pain to unplug and replug each outputs on each machine when the outputs don’t go in sequence. I’m on windows 10 with wx9100 +s400 sync. Thanks! 

Your AMD FirePro WX9100 has the ability to do this.

" I’m on windows 10 with wx9100 +s400 sync. "

Are you getting, for example, 1,2,3,4,5,6 with Windows and Radeon Pro, or 1,2,5,6,3,4 even though physical connections at the rear of the WX9100 are from top down 1,2,3,4,5,6?...and this occurs only when more than 4 display are connected. This is occurring with another display pc a client has, also with Win10 +WX9100+s400. We changed to Win7, and the anomaly remains.

18 hours ago, jfk said:

The assignments are performed by Windows and the graphics card driver.

Correct

Depends on the graphics card. With AMD FirePro professional card, the AMD driver has a provision to software emulate EDID and when you do this correctly it also locks the output assignments. i suspect nVidia has an equivalent, but not certain of that.

Your AMD FirePro WX9100 has the ability to do this.

No go for the EDID emulation. Doing so only keeps causing it to do 1,2,5,6,3,4 when the displays are already plugged in order.

That is plugged in order, WO launched with correct display order. Enable EDID emulation. Be it capture or just keep current edid. Restart PC, order goes back to 1,2,5,6,4,5

13 hours ago, Thomas Leong said:

" I’m on windows 10 with wx9100 +s400 sync. "

Are you getting, for example, 1,2,3,4,5,6 with Windows and Radeon Pro, or 1,2,5,6,3,4 even though physical connections at the rear of the WX9100 are from top down 1,2,3,4,5,6?...and this occurs only when more than 4 display are connected. This is occurring with another display pc a client has, also with Win10 +WX9100+s400. We changed to Win7, and the anomaly remains.

Yes Thomas, I have the exact same issue as you. Keeps reverting back to 1,2,5,6,3,4. I have just half the mind to keep that order for good!

8 hours ago, marklian said:

Yes Thomas, I have the exact same issue as you. Keeps reverting back to 1,2,5,6,3,4. I have just half the mind to keep that order for good!

That 'half a mind' would, IMO, be the best option, and use Watchout's Stage Display Outputs to reflect the changes, i.e.

1. Physically connect at the rear of the WX9100 from top down as 1,2,3,4,5,6

2. Order with Displays arrangement or Projectors to Screens from left to right as 1,2,3,4,5,6

3. Same with the naming of the Stage Displays.

4. In the Stage Displays OUTPUT, reassign 3 to 5, 4 to 6, 5 to 3, and 6 to 4.

This saves unplugging and plugging, re-detecting, and confusion by staging personnel when on site.

Thomas

On 8/8/2018 at 12:18 AM, Thomas Leong said:

That 'half a mind' would, IMO, be the best option, and use Watchout's Stage Display Outputs to reflect the changes, i.e.

1. Physically connect at the rear of the WX9100 from top down as 1,2,3,4,5,6

2. Order with Displays arrangement or Projectors to Screens from left to right as 1,2,3,4,5,6

3. Same with the naming of the Stage Displays.

4. In the Stage Displays OUTPUT, reassign 3 to 5, 4 to 6, 5 to 3, and 6 to 4.

This saves unplugging and plugging, re-detecting, and confusion by staging personnel when on site.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas.

I went the easy route by just physically plugging 1,2,5,6,3,4 and labelling the phyiscal cards output at the back. 

The only issue now I realised is, this works if I am using the MiniDP to DP cables. If I introduce any format of adapters, that is minidp to DVI or HDMI etc, this order gets messed up.

Hopefully someone will chip in for a fix either a regedit edit or something.

• 3 weeks later...