jonasf

Hello,

I have managed to have 4 layers of different NDI applications within watchout.  I have a live feed from an iPad Camera thru an NDI app, 2 desktop mirroring (wired connection) and 1 Live feed camera connected via hdmi onto to an NDI enabled laptop. 

Connections are straight-forward thru a local gigabit network.  All having static IP.  frame rates set to 30fps. 

My issue, everytime I trigger these on my main watchout timeline, all 4 screens will play but will only playback 1 at a time intermittently.  playback lag are between 30 seconds to 1 min.  Once all screens are playing, I have no issue with latency as I've set the latency to low for optimum performance.  ie, sometimes iphone screens comes up first then a few seconds later, laptop 1 & 2 screens comes up; then sometimes vice versa. 

My question, how do I eliminate this lag everytime I trigger the NDI feed?  otherwise this will be almost unusuable/impractical for live events.  The idea is to use NDI for live feed and laptop screen mirroring without the use of capture cards and thru a wireless network ecosystem.  Anything I am missing on the setup?  Hoping for some guidance. 

Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Simone said:

Keep NDI feed always triggered. I do the same even with normal live feed from input card.

Very good idea. If you normally do not use standby, an easy way to accomplish this is to place a cue for your NDI feed on a standby layer of the main timeline. Start the cue at time 0 and make the cue duration equal to the timeline duration. Then cue the feed with regular cues as needed.

14 hours ago, jfk said:

Very good idea. If you normally do not use standby, an easy way to accomplish this is to place a cue for your NDI feed on a standby layer of the main timeline. Start the cue at time 0 and make the cue duration equal to the timeline duration. Then cue the feed with regular cues as needed.

20 hours ago, Simone said:

Keep NDI feed always triggered. I do the same even with normal live feed from input card.

Thank you both for the suggestions.  Yes I've indeed used the standby cue a few for a few shows.  toggled using CTRL+B was straightforwrd.  It does only work if I only have 1 camera feed cue.  But for this instance, I would need to have 3 different live feed cues and a few powerpoint presentation slides.  What did help me was triggering each cue as a task rather than having all of them in 1 timeline. 

My issue now is that, everytime I have 2 or more instances of NDI screens on a single cue, not all would play at the same time.  Here's a quick test to show what I mean: 

After this test, I've done another approach which is to use tasks to cue each NDI Feed.  It worked well and smooth but the same issue of needing to let the system cache/pre-load before I can toggle my cues. 

I don';t experience any latency when using the NDI Studio Monitor etc.  Is there another setting within watchout that I need to adjust in order to address this issue?

Thanks once again for the helpful thoughts and ideas.  Getting ready for a big show next month