Watchout Media Transport

nils

Hi,

Just joined this forum as I'm about to get my hands on a watchout system, wohoo. Been toying with the free version and wanted to get some input on best practices for media transport. Basically, I'd like to control some very simple DMX lights (AC dimmer) in conjunction with one video clip going to 2-3 3d projectors. My problem is that I'm not sure how to constrain the timeline and can't seem to find anything in the tutorial videos.
Basically, (A) I want to play a track going to DMX processor, then (B) play a media clip mapped to the 3d object routed to the 3d projectors, then (C) play another DMX track (the same one just reversed aka lights-off/lights-on).

Any support as well as any pointers to common pitfalls with DMX and Watchout are appreciated . If this forum is not the right place for these questions, kindly disregard.

Thanks,

Nils

1 hour ago, nils said:

.... Basically, (A) I want to play a track going to DMX processor, then (B) play a media clip mapped to the 3d object routed to the 3d projectors, then (C) play another DMX track (the same one just reversed aka lights-off/lights-on)....

Not sure I am grasping what you are trying to do. It sounds like it is a simple sequence of actions which would work fine a single timeline. Do you need to pause an unknown period of time between the actions? (If so, a Control - Pause cue should do the trick) I am sure I am missing something in your description.

• Dataton Partner

Let me add two or three points to Jim's answer.

DMX is simple. Basically you define the universe in the preferences/control tab. While you can only set one universe here it is actually possible to send cues to more universes if needed. There is a setting to select the universe on each cue now.

WATCHOUT behaves as an Artnet node. It sends "DMX" over the network. If your DMX devices need proper analogue DMX, you will need a converter from Artnet to DMX (KISSBOX, Entech,..). ArtNet officially works on a 2.xxx.xxx.xxx network but you can often change it to the network addressing scheme used for your servers, e.g. 192.168.xxx.xxx. The converters allow to do this and our's run on 192.168.xxx.xxx networks without any issues.

The enumeration of Artnet universes can sometimes be tricky. Some devices count from 0, others from 1. So changing the number +-1 might resolve problems.

Playing content for 3D mapping in WATCHOUT is not very difficult either.

You should use a virtual screen as a container for all the content going to your projector. This gives you normal timeline control. Mark the 3D object and then drag the virtual screen media item (media window) onto your 3D object. There are some useful training videos on the Dataton website.