Windows 10, 10Core, W9100 issues

Jeff Miller

Here is what I am working with:

Dell 7920 Rack
Intel Xeon Silver 4114 2.2GHz, 3.0GHz Turbo, 10C, 9.6GT/s 2UPI, 14M Cache, HT (85W) DDR4-2400 1st
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (4 Cores Plus) Multi - English, French, Spanish
2.5" 512GB SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive
16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
AMD FirePro W9100, 32GB, 6 mDP, (7920 Rack)

WATCHOUT 6.2.2

I have completed modifying the Windows 10 with the Windows 10 Enterprise Tweaking Guide.

I can run WP.exe. It runs as follows: 12 seconds all screens go Black. 18 seconds all screens go back to desktop. 42 seconds all screens show WATCHOUT logo and their IP and display number. There is nothing in the log file.

WATCHPOINT.exe fails. It shows the following: Logo screens show on all screens, 5 seconds later bottom bar shows, 6 seconds later, bottom bar gone, 2 seconds later all screens flash to black and then show logo screens again. Cycle repeats more than 9 times (I assume it is infinity). Log file shows:

{ "date" : "2018-12-06", "time" : "11:52:43:061", "severity" : "information",
"message" : "Starting WATCHPOINT" },
{ "date" : "2018-12-06", "time" : "11:52:53:062", "severity" : "information",
"message" : "Time out while waiting for WATCHPOINT to start up" },
{ "date" : "2018-12-06", "time" : "11:53:01:818", "severity" : "information",
{ "date" : "2018-12-06", "time" : "11:53:11:819", "severity" : "information",
"message" : "Time out while waiting for WATCHPOINT to start up" },
{ "date" : "2018-12-06", "time" : "11:53:18:877", "severity" : "information",

Once WP.exe has started things, I can run shows, go online with production computer. However, behavior is spotty. Sometimes when 2 movies are supposed to be playing, one of the movies doesn't play. Worse, the display computer can occasionally drop out of WATCHOUT. I am following the engineering adage "fix what you know is broke" so I would like to get WATCHPOINT.exe to start cleanly (and not use WP.exe)

Does anyone have any suggestions or clues as to what might be happening or what I could look into? Thank you for your help.

14 hours ago, Jeff Miller said:

Quick follow-up. I just installed WATCHOUT 6.3.1. Now I can launch WATCHPOINT.exe and it runs the display program properly. I will now test out some of the other issues I was having.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, you encountered an issue with 6.2.2 that was since discovered and corrected in 6.3.1 (as you discovered). From 6.3 release notes ...

... In recent Windows 10 editions, the display software sometimes failed to start if there were many high-resolution displays connected to the same computer. This is now resolved. ...

Hi Jeff!

On a site note: We have experienced various problems with AMD’s 2018 drivers and we are running the 2017 Q4.1 drivers. If you run into other problems, that might be worthwhile checking out that version of the AMD driver.  

Best regards, 
David / Dataton

Hi Jeff,

I agree with DavidA about the AMD driver.

A few days ago I was playing a display with drivers 2018q4 and the videos went to me in 1 second shots. I also had other problems with remote access viewing and when I moved the sliders of a midi keyboard the windows opened with slow motion.
I have uninstalled the 2018q4 drivers and installed the 2017q4.1 and everything went perfectly fine

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: We upgraded graphics cards to the AMD FirePro WX9100. We were running a show on 2 computers. After a period of time ranging from 4 hours to 12 hours, one of the display computers freezes in playback for ~33 seconds and then all signal is lost on all 6 screens. The computer is still on, but does not respond to anything and there is no way to get video signal back. Had to use power button to shut off.

Because of this I went back to 2017q4.1 drivers as suggested above. I am currently running long term test on this. However, with Watchout 6.3.1 and these AMD 2017 Q4.1 drivers I can not get WATCHPOINT.exe to run properly. It shows logo, shows the taskbar, goes black, shows the logo in an endless loop. I can get WP.exe to run and see the logo with info on display IP and name. With both computers running WP.exe I am running the show and it seems to be performing correctly. I don't know yet it if it will prove stable.

I am back to the original question: Why will WP.exe run, but not WATCHPOINT.exe? Does anyone have any advice as to what I could look into or try? Thanks.

Edited by Jeff Miller
Typo. "not" instead of "now" in last paragraph.

Hi all,

Our display configuration is the following:

• Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 (Tweaked as of Dataton guide)
  • Asus WS X299 Sage
  • i9 7900X
  • 32 GB of ram
  • NVMe Samsung 970 Pro
  • AMD Pro WX9100
  • DataPath VisionRGB-E2S
  • BlackMagic DeckLink 8K Pro
  • BlackMagic DeckLink Quad 2
  • Motu 828-MK3
  • Midi Controller APC40-MKII

After a week of testing we established that:

• Using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607 Watchout Display shows the same error as @Jeff Miller (both with AMD 2017 Q4.1 and AMD 2018 Q4 drivers).
  • We installed Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 and AMD 2017 Q4.1 drivers and it kinda worked but with 4 parallel live input all of them was lagging and freezing (also pre-recorded videos)
  • We finally tried installing Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 and AMD 2018 Q4 drivers, it now works without quirks, WatchPoint now starts immediately and it doesn't freeze anymore (6 outputs 1920x1080@60, 4 SDI live input FullHD and 1 DVI live input 1080p, 1 NDI Input 1920x1080@60, 2 UHD Videos playing, HAP and H264).
  • We noticed performance boost setting these options in bios:
    - Hyper-Threading: OFF
    - C-States, P-States, Intel SpeedShift/SpeedStep: OFF

Thank you for posting @piccinaezio

It is nice to know I am not alone. I am currently still working with 2018 Q4 drivers. It works, but I am severely limited as to what I can do in the show if I want it to be stable (run for 24 hours reliably). I ran a show on 2 of my display computers with Nvidia P5000 and P6000 cards for 36 hours clean. I put the same show on the AMD WX9100 computers and it crashed one of the display computers after running 15.5 hours. No logs, no dumps, no indication of why. All the screens on that computer show "no signal" although the computer still seems to be on. Nothing will bring them back. I have to power button off and start it again.

That said, I did make a show that is playing 2 mp4 movies on each of 2 machines with WX9100 cards, each driving 6 HD screens and it ran for over 24 hours, so I know it is possible.

So now I am stuck in a cycle of making one small addition to the show and trying to run it for 24 hours to find out if it is stable. Basically just trial and error.

I was unable to get the WX9100 to playback HAP movies. (Nvidia display computers do it fine -- same show on the WX9100 would not). Do you have any special settings on the HAP?

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2019 at 5:44 AM, piccinaezio said:

Hi all,

Our display configuration is the following:

• Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 (Tweaked as of Dataton guide)
  • Asus WS X299 Sage
  • i9 7900X
  • 32 GB of ram
  • NVMe Samsung 970 Pro
  • AMD Pro WX9100
  • DataPath VisionRGB-E2S
  • BlackMagic DeckLink 8K Pro
  • BlackMagic DeckLink Quad 2
  • Motu 828-MK3
  • Midi Controller APC40-MKII

After a week of testing we established that:

• Using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607 Watchout Display shows the same error as @Jeff Miller (both with AMD 2017 Q4.1 and AMD 2018 Q4 drivers).
  • We installed Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 and AMD 2017 Q4.1 drivers and it kinda worked but with 4 parallel live input all of them was lagging and freezing (also pre-recorded videos)
  • We finally tried installing Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 and AMD 2018 Q4 drivers, it now works without quirks, WatchPoint now starts immediately and it doesn't freeze anymore (6 outputs 1920x1080@60, 4 SDI live input FullHD and 1 DVI live input 1080p, 1 NDI Input 1920x1080@60, 2 UHD Videos playing, HAP and H264).
  • We noticed performance boost setting these options in bios:
    - Hyper-Threading: OFF
    - C-States, P-States, Intel SpeedShift/SpeedStep: OFF

Did you updated your windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1809? wich update you used?