any suggestion to use WO to play media content 13824x3465 pixel resolution

kai

@jfk, @Erik - Thanks for that info about the HAP limits. Is the limit imposed by the GPU in the production machine, or is Watchout checking with connected players what their GPU limits are? Just curious, as I often run shows with production laptops which are much less powerful than the player machines - does that mean I might hit the import limit for HAP on production even though a player machine would be capable of playing back the file?

2 hours ago, matkeane said:

@jfk, @Erik - Thanks for that info about the HAP limits. Is the limit imposed by the GPU in the production machine, or is Watchout checking with connected players what their GPU limits are?

Good question. Ultimately the limitation is the display machine, but no, the production machine is not checking with the displays when it accepts the movie.

Just curious, as I often run shows with production laptops which are much less powerful than the player machines - does that mean I might hit the import limit for HAP on production even though a player machine would be capable of playing back the file?

In fact, the production machine may have lower limits than the display machine, and it might choke on the a HAP file the display machines could play. If this occurs, you would have to use a movie proxy to get around that. One option with a proxy is to tell the production machine not to try and play the movie and not to open it in any way, instead, you have to tell production the resolution and duration and production will present a generic icon for the movie in the stage and then pass the movie file to display for it to deal with.

Dear All,

today I'm chat with my content supplier and we decide to split a content to 8 segment and every segment long 3-5 min and plan to use 2 server for led screen, that mean it's use 4 layer for uhd file per server, my content suplier ask me it's can add more layer for Hap alpha file or not,

any suggestion please

Thank you so much

• Dataton Partner

Kai,

First of all, it really depends on your server hardware. Do you have the server available already or are you using a supplier who will deliver the hardware at a later stage?

We get similar questions from rental clients very often and the safest way is to test, test and test. We ask for samples or render our heavy demo content to the sizes needed and then run it on the proposed system. HAP depends a lot on the speed of the SSD. The load on the CPU is quite low but it also needs more support from the graphic card than the other codecs.

• Dataton Partner

mai pen rai,

If you want to check the real performance, always use all outputs which you plan to use later. Do not just connect one monitor and do your testing while later you might want to output a signal to 4 screens. Makes a difference!

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, Erik Rönnqvist said:

It is possible to play Hap files in very high resolutions in Watchout. I just encoded an 10000x10000 Hap (30 fps) and it plays ok. 12000x12000 will not work on the computer I am using, so my best guess is that I reached the capabilities of the graphics board. While there is no hard limit in Watchout for Hap resolutions, you will sooner or later hit the wall of what the GPU is able to handle.

/Erik 

https://tgw.onl/bluehost/ https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ https://tgw.onl/hostgator/

For large files and when you use many outputs with high resolutions from one server the memory size of the gpu can be an issue. I doubt though that any card with 6 outputs can really give you 6 output screens with 4K and 50/60fps.