Videos not playing properly

Rahul Gauri

This is an error in configuring your production computer. ]The display computer is NOT playing at all, video or otherwise. Multiple network ports are active and the UDP traffic is going out the wrong port (transport commands are UDP, file transfer etc are TCP, so the TCP activities get through regardless. Either turn off all network ports except the WATCHOUT port or re-order the network ports properly. This has been covered in the forum multiple times before, next time search first.

• 2 months later...

Hi we are an upcoming watchout users,  we need to know how we tell the creative guys to make videos? like format , codec  if the videos within full hd 1080p resolution?

Also if the video resolution goes above full hd?  some creative guys ask so much information about videos when we ask them to make in .HAP codec, 

which is the best format above 4k?

codec?

frame rate?

compression rate? 

bit rate?

Also to make Alpha hap video what is the best codec? 

what is HAPQ?

it would be helpfull if someone can answer my queries..

Thank you.

Christi.

The way I see it, there is no "best".

Will depend on hardware capabilities.

I'm using ffmpeg to convert files.

-> Hap

-> 25, 30 or 60fps depends on the playback device

-> Hap automatic

-> Hap automatic

-> Hap Alpha

-> HapQ is a higher bitrate, larger files, better quality. 

Here are my ffmpeg settings:

ffmpeg -i [input file]  - dn -an -vf yadif -r 25 -vcodec hap -format hap [output file]

ffmpeg -i [input file]  - dn -an -vf yadif -r 25 -vcodec hap -format hap_alpha [output file]

Check for more info:

https://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

https://hap.video/

https://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/hap

Guest DavidA

Hi!

You have to decide on the compression rates yourself as I have no idea on how your system is setup nor what you want to achieve. 
Here are an example to convert to HAP.

set input="E:\video\test\smple.mp4"
ffmpeg.exe -i %input% -an -ss 120 -t 30 -c:v hap -format hap -chunks 4 -y bbb_2160p30_hap.mov
ffmpeg.exe -i %input% -an -ss 120 -t 30 -c:v hap -format hap_q -chunks 4 -y bbb_2160p30_hapq.mov

Where:
-i = input file
-an = no audio
-ss = start stream time (seconds), you can skip this option
-t = duration (seconds), you can skip this option
-c:v = codec for video
-format = codec specific format (can be hap, hap_q or hap_alpha)
-chunks = number of chunks for multi threaded decoding
-y = over-write output file without prompting, you can skip this option

Presently our output servers are ; can you suggest me a good compresssion rate now for hap videos to reduce file size ?

Processor- AMD FX 8 CORE PROCESSOR. BLACK EDITION  (FX9590), 5Ghz.

MOTHER BOARD- ASUS CROSSHAIR, V FORMULA Z.

GRAPHIC CARD- AMD FIRE PRO W-7000.

POWER SUPPLY- COOLER MASTER V12000, PLATINUM.

COOLER- CORSAIR H100i  HYDRO SERIES.

SSD HARD DISK  2 No's- SAMSUNG SSD, 840 PRO SERIES 128GB.

DVD WRITER- ASUS 24X GREEN DVD WRITER DRW-24D3ST.

RAM 2 NO'S- CORSAIR DDR3, 8GB VENGEANCE PRO SERIES.

windows 7 Home basic 64bit.

thank you.

Christopher don't take this the wrong way, but you need to do some research on your one. Use google and youtube.

Me and David give you all the info you need in the thread to convert any video to Hap using FFMPEG.

About the compression rate, HAP has no adjustable ratio, its fixed, use Hap for good image quality and use HapQ for better quality.

1 -> Download FFMPEG for Windows from ffmpeg win64

2 -> Extract the contents of the Bin folder to your c:/windows/system32/   ignore the other files (This is not the correct way to do, but it's the easiest)

3 -> Place the attached .rar file on you Desktop and extract

4 -> Drag and Drop the original video file to the .bat, the new converted file will be placed on the Desktop

Desktop.rar

Edit: Hap requires the video resolutions to be multiples of 4. The .bat files will check the resolution of the input file before converting, and if needed change it to the nearest multiple of 4 number.

Ex: original video 320x282 after conversion 320x280

• Dataton Partner

Smooth playback depends mostly on file size, hardware specs and computer tweaking.

I assume that your server is completely tweaked following the tweaking guidelines for Win 7!?

Are your SSDs using RAID-0 configuration - and is WATCHOUT installed on this SSD raid? Is your OS on a separate SSD or at least on a separate partition?

Have you checked the reading speed of your WATCHOUT SSD?

Since you're using an 8-core CPU it might be a good idea to use chunks when encoding HAP.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, christopherav said:

Mr David thanks for all ur support.  now i understood to convert videos to hap  and hap.q format..   but hap.alpha isnt working..  the output video not coming as transparent video.  anyways thank you so much again..

Watchout support HAP ALPHA ,  NOT HAP Q ALPHA. make sure you convert the right codec.

I don't know what you mean by "normal video"

This only works if the original video is already using alpha channel.

Ex: Apple Animation+ --> HapAlpha,

Apple ProRes 444 --> HapAlpha

PNG sequence+ --> HapAlpha

This is the simplest command I can think of.

ffmpeg -i [input file] -vcodec hap -format hap_alpha [output file.mov]

• 2 months later...
  • Dataton Partner
13 hours ago, christopherav said:

Hi , am using ffmpeg now to convert any .mp4 videos .. to .hap ... but file size seems to be very high..  is there any way i can reduce the output file size by compressing?    if yes pls let me know how the command needs to be?

MP4 (H.264) uses temporal and spatial compression and depending on the settings in the encoder can be compressed quite a lot. The back draw of this is that the CPU needs to buffer a lot of frames - even more if you compress B-frames as well - to recalculate the individual frames in real time. I've seen a 4K video compressed to less than 1 Mbit/s which then played back with 1-2 fps on a quite powerful server as a result. 

HAP is far less compressed and does not use any temporal compression to my knowledge.This makes it far easier for the server to render those files while the CPU is almost asleep. I'm not aware of any settings in ffmpeg to increase compression.

• Dataton Partner
14 hours ago, christopherav said:

Can we make a mp4 video  transparent by converting to hap alpha using ffmpeg? 

The MP4 (H.264) format does not hold any information on transparency. Transcoding this to another format will not generate the extra byte needed for the transparency.