Recommended motion tracking harware and methods for WO 6.3.1

HouseofGusto

Hello,

I am working on a project which requires triggering video clips and DMX messages by live motion tracking of a person.

I was planning to use Kinect environment, but, I have become aware of the fact that they are discontinued and therefore Kinect would not be a reliable option in the long run.

What type of product and platform would you recommend or this kind of application please?

Thank you.

• Dataton Partner

Hello,

There is lot of way of achieving it! Maybe you could be more specific on what you want to do?

If you talk about tracking, you can use BlackTrax to get the XYZ position of someone and move and trigger media depending on his position.

You can also use 2D laser to react on a more simple (2D) detection.

But also, you can consider using an external show control system (like Medialon Manager) to interact with many kind of sensors or protocol…

My personal experience with Kinect is that the result and the user experience is always disappointing. It don’t works well with many users in the field of the camera, you need to be at a specific position to be correctly detected, the USB is not reliable when long cables are needed… But it’s cheap, probably cheaper than the solutions above and you can still find lot of camera on ebay.

Good luck for your research,

Benoit

Hi Benoit,

thank you for your suggestions.

Our case is that a visitor at a themed museum stands within a designated stage area and does pre determined body gestures consequently this triggers some audio and lighting cues.

So, there always be a single person standing in a pre-calibrated area and the tracking system will be monitoring in 2D, say when the visitor raises both arms then a sound cue will be played out, etc.

Therefore, specialized IR targets, suits or such are out of the question.