LTSB vs LTSC ?

MISTERK

hi All and dataton crew

i'm building new PC's for watchout, i follow thoroughly the tweaking guide.

Is the good configuration for stable playback in watchout 6.3.1 still :

Windows LTSB 1607 with  kb4057142 update and no more recent update ???

or is there a difference with Windows 10 LTSC ???

i think LTSC is the new name of LTSB, but is it worth to install it ?

in this case which Version and Update ?

and is the tweaking guide applies to Win LTSC ?

Tak

Thanks

Mr K

• Dataton Partner

LTSC is the successor of LTSB. They changed the name in 2018 and now call it LTSC. LTSC versions are newer and are not tested in Sweden yet. The tweaking guide is for the 2016 LTSB version only. Might work with LTSC but there is no guarantee. The update files mentioned for LTSB 2016 will most probably not work with LTSC.

my setup:

ASRock X99 Extreme4 S2011v3

Intel i7-5930K

32GB DDR4 2133MHz

Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (windows) + Samsung XP941 NGFF 512GB (watchout)

Sapphire AMD FirePro W7100

tried windows 10 enterprise ltsb 1607 with amd driver 17q4.1. Did all the tweaking list (excluding the removal of microsoft bloatware which are not present in ltsb)

results: black screen.

tried windows 10 enterprise ltsc 2019 (tweaked) with amd driver 19q1.1 and 18q4: watchout works properly but poor HAP decoding (video stutters while the same video on windows 7 works well).

LTSC 2019 with amd 17q4.1 doesn't work (watchout window opens, then turns black, than opens again and the system is instable)

I still haven't found a working solution for windows 10 and I need a system that can support 4xUHD output

• Dataton Partner

Yes, tweaking Windows 10 can be quite a task and it takes a long time to get the system stable and fast.  WATCHMAX and WATCHPAX servers are more expensive than a self-built system but the price includes a warranty for a stable system which took months to set it up and for tests.

If Dataton was able to properly "tweak" windows 10 on their media servers, I think it could be done on user built servers too.

Giving the users the opportunity to build their own servers has always been  a great plus for dataton and I hope they will never change this approach.

Adding features to their servers (such as SDI IO feature) is a thing, but I hope they will never drop users built hardware support.

Now the thing is, a properly tweaked windows 10 server will have same, better or worst performances compared to the same system running on windows 7?

Has anyone made a test?

And if win 10 can achieve the same/better results, how do u tweaked it?

Hardware differencies should not be so important since many many users are using firepro 7100 or radeon pro wx7100 (and dataton servers too) and hap playback depends mostly on GPU

3 hours ago, Luca said:

... Now the thing is, a properly tweaked windows 10 server will have same, better or worst performances compared to the same system running on windows 7?

Has anyone made a test? ...

Yes, Dataton has. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Performance with Windows 10 will be the same as Windows 7 in most cases and better in some cases (mostly capture card performance differences).

i'm focusing on hap playback.

I am not able to play an 8k 50fps hap file on windows 10 while on windows 7 it works perfectly.

also tried several 5000~6000 x 1000 pixels 50fps hap files and again it works on windows 7 but not on windows 10.

bios tweaked like this: 

and windows 10 ltsc tweaked accordingly to the dataton document (ltsb 1607 was not working)