Help! Trying to create a single 9152 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high video file in After Effects for a Watchout presentation. What file format? Cod

Ben Debuse

Hi everyone

I'm trying to create a single 9152 pixels wide by 1080 pixels high video file in Adobe After Effects for use in a Watchout presentation. Basically one massively wide video file to fill the entire Watchout screen for an event I'm producing for Europe's largest permanent 'digital gallery' called Fusion. The Fusion screen is produced using 5 seperate PCs feeding 5 big video projectors. Here are a couple of links so you can see the venue:

http://www.theforumnorwich.co.uk/venue-hire/venue/fusion-digital-gallery

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/norfolk/hi/tv_and_radio/newsid_7977000/7977309.stm

Here are some of the problems I have encountered so far:

* After Effects won't render WMV files at all.

* The Mpeg2 and H264 standards won't allow a width of 9152 pixels.

* The mov file created using the Animation codec in After Effects brings up errors when imported into the Watchout software

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

How do I get a 9152 pixel wide video file to play in Watchout??

Its not very long either, only around 30 seconds. Most of the presentation is created using Watchout itself, but for some particularly wizzy 3D graphics I need to use short sections of video straight from After Effects.

Please help!

Kind regards

You need to pre split your video content and proxy it in. The manual describes the process quite well. This will allow you to separate all your video content per display machine, and is recommended when playing content of the size you are suggesting.

My video producers are always pushing the limits on display capabilities, so I have been pre splitting for years. It looks great, and I've never had an issue with it.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help Dan.

Do you or anyone else know what the widest video file possible? Watchout seems to be able to take a 4500 pixel wide mov file, but not one that is 9152 pixels wide.

Does anyone know what the maximum is?

Thanks!

That is more of a function of the movie decoding codec than WATCHOUT.

WATCHOUT itself has no limits, it is bound by the limits of the codec chosen.

The movie decoders do have limits, and different encoding (mpg, wmv, avi, etc) have different restrictions.

It gets more confusing with QuickTime, as two .mov codecs (h.264 and animation codec at 32+)

are decoded by non-Quicktime decoders,

so their limits are dictated by their Windows native multi-threaded decoders instead of QuickTime.