If WATCHOUT works with Mac?

WATCHOUT is Windows only.

There is no WATCHOUT version for MacOSX, unfortunately.

But if you have a new Mac with an Intel processor it runs very well with the

latest version of emulation software, such as VMWare Fusion and Parallels.

It works well for light production work.

For more heavy production, it could work as well, if the Preview is turned off.

This applies to the WATCHOUT production computer, do NOT attempt to

run WATCHOUT Display computers under emulation software.

Another option on a Mac is of course installing Windows under BootCamp.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

/jonas

• 2 years later...

Thiago,

There is no speculation, WATCHOUT is Windows only.

There is no WATCHOUT version for MacOSX, unfortunately.

But if you have a new Mac with an Intel processor it runs very well with the 

latest version of emulation software, such as VMWare Fusion and Parallels. 

It works very well for light production work.

For more heavy production, it could work as well, if the Preview is turned off.

This applies to the WATCHOUT production computer, do NOT attempt to 

run WATCHOUT Display computers under emulation software.

Another option on a Mac is of course installing Windows under BootCamp.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

/jonas

• 3 weeks later...

i currently have WO 5.5.2 running on a new mac pro under win 8.1 and boot camp i would like to have win 7 but boot camp doesn't support it on the mac tower . stress testing it this week as a display machine, so far so go. running 4 displays as a test. the catch was you need to manually set WP.exe to run on the ati  fire-pro card 3d settings.

• 1 month later...

Just ran a show on mac-pro via boot camp with 6x 1080p@60.   it was faultless, not an overly stressful show, mainly backgrounds and jpegs,psd's and a few videos.

just curious,

6x 1080p@60

is that the number of outputs available in WATCHOUT ?

What graphics sub-system does the MacPro provide to accomplish this?

it runs a dual amd firepro d500 card with 3gb of vram each . six thunderbolt outputs.

Normally WATCHOUT will not provide support for the outputs on a second graphics card.

Did you get six outputs working in WATCHOUT in that setup?

As I understand it, the physical outputs are all from one of the cards, the other card is there to provide GPU support.

For standard applications that is how it works by default, unless there is a app with an AMD profile for the cards

Normally WATCHOUT will not provide support for the outputs on a second graphics card.

Did you get six outputs working in WATCHOUT in that setup?

Ya all six, I have done 3 shows already with 6x outputs and it has been rock solid. The show file isn't very intense but when i get the time i might try and get some pro res and h264 content and see what i can push it to.

we have stock of a few mac pro's for specific apple app duties,It's nice that we can create another revenue stream for them and really handy for overseas events!.For the intense shows we use a proper WO built pc

Because a Mac Pro can handle six Thundebold-Monitors or two DVI-Monitors (with mini DisplayPort to DVI-Adapters)  at the same time, i'd like you to ask the following qusetion:

What kind of hardware were next to your outputs?

Greetz Chris

I was using 4x active thunderbolt to dual link DVI dongles and 2x standard thunderbolt to DVI dongles. the mac will only allow 2x standard dongles the rest of them have to be active.

All into a Lightware 16x16 for edid and routing

Regarding the new Mac Pro's and the GPU arrangement: Only 1 card is connected to the video outputs, just like in a standard Crossfire arrangement. (SLI is Nvidia's term) The other GPU is only used for GPGPU purposes under OSX; things like GPU accelerated Video Encoding for programs like FCX, and Adobe CS/CC. When running Windows 8.x, the cards are Crossfired with no ability to turn this off and unless an application has a Crossfire profile written for it by AMD, there is no benefit provided by the 2nd card. These cards would use the FirePro drivers under Windows. Eyefinity works under Windows and all 6 outputs are able to be used. You can use standard SL-DVI-D Active Adapters for all 6 outputs under Windows. These cost about $30.00. You don't have to use to the Apple DL-DVI-D $150.00 adapters.

Personally, I think they're really overpriced since you are stuck with the configuration they designed and do not have the luxury of configuring things as easily as you would with a full Windows PC. Also, under OSX, there are a lot of GPU features that lay inaccessible, such as Eyefinity or the ability to use all 12 video outputs from the 2 GPU's. However, for every Mac Pro sold, AMD sells 2 GPU's, so there's that. ;-) I'm glad you were able to get some more value out of those quirky little things.

Depending on the CPU you went with, such as the 6 Core Xeon @3.5GHz w/ 12 Threads, you could run some intensive Watchout shows I would imagine.

My .02

Galen

great system but the bottleneck is SSD if only i can convince the boss for a thunderbolt Raid 0 config! :)  scrubbing thru timeline's  is just not as quick as our display pc with raid 0. Testing overall its been very good but i would not buy one just for Watchout. iIt has been siting on our shelf so why not! It's mainly used for mac apps and media server duties on OS X, sometimes its used in the render Farm for C4d

I installed this setup. Everything works, even the TB blanckmagic Ultra Studio and the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Now i must check performance with all the six TB video outputs.

Edit:

Mac pro:

3.5Ghz 6 core Intel Xeon

32gb RAM

AMD Firepro D700 6144mb

Tested this whit this setup:

-Windows 8

-5 XGA outputs (mini DP to VGA)

-1 thunderbolt Blackmagic Ultra Studio

-1 USB 3.0 Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle

Production: Macbook Pro Retina Display with VMware

Everything works fine.

Not much doubt the USB 3.0 capture devices would work.

The question is, do USB 3.0 capture devices introduce more delay than PCIe capture devices.

Past experience says USB 3.0 capture devices do add additional delay - ymmv.

How many Frames delay do you have when using the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0?

I do not know, don't have any USB capture devices to compare.

The obvious test would be to run a PC with both an Intensity Pro and an Intensity Shuttle.

Feed them the same signal and display them side by side, any differences would be obvious.

Problem is, it makes little sense for a typical user to posses both.

BTW BlackMagicDesign just outdated the PCIe x1 Intensity Pro (up to 1080i60/720p60)

and replaced it with the new PCIe x4 Intensity Pro 4K  (up to 2160p30/1080p60) for the same price!

And the specs says "Intensity Pro 4K includes a broadcast quality time base corrector",

to be used with analog inputs while digitizing old tape based video.

Hmm, maybe this should be a new topic ...

Do you understand the sense of a TBC?

A TBC will be used to sync an outgoing videopicture to a main sync (e.g. inside a big videosetup with hardwarevideomixers).

Greetz Chris

uhh, let's see, the first frame shaker I worked with was an Ampex model

that was a companion to an Ampex VPR80 1" reel to reel video deck (1979).

In addition to synching frame rate to a reference (genlock), a proper broadcast time base corrector

will work within the frame to provide line by line correction of the old analog video signal,

a common issue with analog video tape playback.