Production Computer Latency and performance issues

Sasami

Hello, I work for a video company in Argentina.

We have WO 5.1.

We recently did a mapping projection with 13 displays. We used 7 Display computers (2 outputs each) and a production computer. We projected 3 walls of an event conference room. The main project size was 12595px X 553px.

We splited that main video in 7 parts according to the diferent blendings and wall sizes. At the same time, the main video lenght was 40 minutes separated in 8 five minutes parts.

The 7 videos sizes were:

2 videos of 2662x417 splited in 2 parts of 1331x417 each.

3 videos of 1843x553.

The codec (converted with Procoder 3) used was:

- Mpeg2: .m2v

- 25 fps

- interlacing = lower field first

- bitrate = 24.000

Audio:

- 2 separate audio tracks WAV (16 bit, 44.100)

Production computer and display computers:

- Intel Core i7 3.07gHz

- ram = 2gb

- win 7 32 bit

- Ati radeon HD 5670

- Windows 7 32 Bit

Here is the issue. Each time we loaded a video in the timeline, the response speed of Watchout slowed a bit. When we completed loading all the videos in the WO project, everything became SO slow. I mean, when we press play, the video runs perfectly in all the displays but when we press the space bar to pause the playback it takes about 15 secs (or more) for the video to stop. If we wanted to move the cues of the timeline it also worked extremely slow. We rebooted all the computers, and reopened the project with same results. During the essays we pressed play and the video playback was ok until minute 35 (of 40) when the displays started to loose a bit of synchronization. To avoid this we inserted a pause and play cue in the middle of the video and that worked to avoid desynchronization.

Yesterday i tried to do all the project again and tested performance. When i loaded about 4 videos of this kind in the timeline, i saw a bit of latency in the production computer to pause playback, resize cues, scroll the timeline, etc.

I hope you can understand me (my English is not the best). If anyone see what things we are doing wrong or what could be our problem please answer this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Julián.

Hi Julian-two things here.First video should be encoded as progressive, not interlaced.

Also do you have the videos set to reduced or even none in the video cue -advanced-preview tab? Having all those vts playing at best quality in the stage window would most likely cause the production machine to slow.

Neil

Just a basic question. Do you play your split videos using "Presplit Proxy" media, or have you just added each of the split pieces manually as individual cues? If the latter, that can indeed cause performance problems (especially in the production computer, as you describe), and you should take a look at how presplit proxies work. Note tnat you can also add a scaled-down preview video to the presplit, which allows you to preview without adversely affecting the performance of the production computer.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Ok! I solved this by using preview settings to wireframes. Thanks.

Just a basic question. Do you play your split videos using "Presplit Proxy" media, or have you just added each of the split pieces manually as individual cues? If the latter, that can indeed cause performance problems (especially in the production computer, as you describe), and you should take a look at how presplit proxies work. Note tnat you can also add a scaled-down preview video to the presplit, which allows you to preview without adversely affecting the performance of the production computer.

Mike

I Always presplitted manually the videos. Do you think that using media proxies the performance of the playback will improve? This can be used in any case? even when you have a large video like the one described above?. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I Always presplitted manually the videos. Do you think that using media proxies the performance of the playback will improve?

When using multiple display computers and overlapping displays (i.e., edge-blended projectors), always use a Video Proxy set to Pre Split to manage video playback. Merely placing the videos as multiple cues on a timeline may result in display glitches, and will reduce playback performance.