AVC-Intra 100 codec and Watchout

Nick A

Hi There,

Having done a bit of reading-up on H.264 it seems that the AVC-Intra variant of the H.264 is may be one of the highest-quality ones to use.

Does anyone have any experience using it with Watchout V5? Any issues?

I've got a production house that's desperate to use ProRes but Dataton don't recommend it so i thought AVC-Intra may be a reasonable solution.

Cheers all,

Nick

Hi all,

please see my inline comments below.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,

/jonas

Dataton Support

Hi There,

Having done a bit of reading-up on H.264 it seems that the AVC-Intra variant of the H.264 is may be one of the highest-quality ones to use.

Yes, and it will need a serious hardware platform to run on...as ProRes/MotionJPEG does.

AVC Intra50, bit-rate = 50 Mbps

AVC Intra100, bit-rate = 100 Mbps

Does anyone have any experience using it with Watchout V5? Any issues?

It might be compatible with our H.264 decoder.

It might be compatible with Apple:s QuickTime, ie the same status in WO as ProRes/MotionJPEG

It has not been tested by us, we have had no content or requests earlier.

Are you/anyone able to supply some content, for testing purposes?

I've got a production house that's desperate to use ProRes but as you don't recommend it I'm looking at alternatives and thought AVC-Intra may be a reasonable solution.

Desperate, why?

ProRes, MotionJPEG and AVC Intra are intermediate codecs, aimed at editing, NOT playback.

If your hardware platform supports it, it should work, but if it's played back through QuickTime, we have less/no control of it.

Using a proper encoding solution like Telestream Episode/Episode Pro, instead of Final Cut:s Compressor or After Effects Media Encoder, will yield a much better result than them, and more stable playback, for WATCHOUT Multi-image use.

File sizes will of course be considerably smaller.