Resolution and Hz

Benni Brostian

Hi everyone -

can u tell me , what is the recommend Resolution and frequency to play out Watchout from a Display Computer?!

1080p 50 Hz

or

1080p 59,94 Hz

or

1080p 60 Hz

??

And - what is the recommend input Resolution for a Live Camera that is send from a HD Camera?

1080i

or

1080p

?

Thank you for ur support.

Kind regards.

recommend Resolution and frequency to play out Watchout from a Display Computer

Whatever your displays prefer. In many cases, outputting at 60Hz is preferable - particularly if you use 29.97/30/60 fps video. Some people prefer to output 50Hz if they use PAL-style (25/50) video.

what is the recommend input Resolution for a Live Camera

I would recommend trhat you avoid interlaced, if at all possible. Even if this means dropping down to 720p. If possible, run 60p, since this results in substantially smoother video and reduces the delay somewhat.

Hi Mike.

Thank you for answering.

One last question - you told me, that i should run the input signal in 60p.

Now is my question - Is there a way so send 1920x1080 60p? I´ve never seen

a 60p - it means 60fps or do you mean 60hz? than it would be a interlaced signal right?!

So i should avoid an interlaced signal - get the signal thru a image pro or something and convert it to

P right?

Thanks and best regards....

Generally, a higher framerate results in smoother playback. The same goes for a camera feed. However, as you say, few cameras support 1080p60, so you're either stuck with interlaced or will have to drop down to 720p60. If you can live with the lower resolution, I'd pick 720p60 any day. If you must use interlaced, turn on the deinterlacing function in WATCHOUT to get rid of the "jaggies".

One last question - you told me, that i should run the input signal in 60p.

Now is my question - Is there a way so send 1920x1080 60p? I´ve never seen

a 60p - it means 60fps or do you mean 60hz? than it would be a interlaced signal right?!

1080p60 (59.94 actually) or 1080p50 for PAL countries ie Europe, requires all equipment to support 3G-SDI.

Only capture cards available are then Decklink HDExtreme or Datapath VisionSDI2.

Normal HDSDI supports 720p50,59.94 or 60, 1080p25, 29.97 or 30 and 1080i50, 59.94 or 60

Capture cards are cheaper, like Decklink SDI from 299 USD

So i should avoid an interlaced signal - get the signal thru a image pro or something and convert it to

P right?

No, you should preferably use a progressive signal. Passing it through an ImagePro will help, but will cause a delay.

Or do as Mike explains above, and live with the limitations of an interlaced signal.

Hope this helps/jonas

I feed my camera/cameras/camera switch SDI/HDSDI into a BARCO ImageProHD (or similar scaler) and convert it to 1080p@60 DVI (or any size resolution progressive scan rate depending on the source) and bring that to my capture cards.

This works very well for me. Using the DeInterlace option in WatchOUT adds an incredible amount of extra delay. The ImageProHD feed into WatchOUT is a pleasure to work with and adds minimal delay to a system that needs as minimal delay as possible. It also gives me incredible flexibility for multiple flavors of input as the ImageProHD can handle a plethora of signal types, and it can sub-switch those signal types into my capture cards.