Adding Decklink Duo SDI to display PCs w/ Decklink SDI

MediacoAB

Hey folks,

I'm looking at adding an additional capture card to our existing rigs. We have a Decklink SDI single channel cap card in each of our display PCs and we're looking at adding another Decklink Duo for a total of 3 SDI input channels. My question is, does anyone see any problems with that? We're using ASUS Sabretooth X58 motherboards with Sapphire HD 6970s.

Also, as a side question, has anyone had any luck reducing live source frame latency to the screen with blackburst sync from switching/camera control to the cap cards? We just got a new sync generator but we haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

Thanks,

Ron a.k.a MediacoAB

Hey folks,

I am looking at adding an additional capture card to our existing rigs. We have a Decklink SDI single channel cap card in each of our display PCs and we are looking at adding another Decklink Duo for a total of 3 SDI input channels. My question is, does anyone see any problems with that? We are using ASUS Sabretooth X58 motherboards with Sapphire HD 6970s.

It should be possible.

The BlackMagic Design drivers are a bit of a challenge, seems newer is not always better,

and the combination of BMD driver, motherboard vendor / BIOS version and WATCHOUT version

can be a bit tricky.

I would only attempt this with lots of time to work through the tweaking and testing,

you do not want to be finding anomalies on show site - find and fix them in pre-site testing.

Be very aware of PCIe x4 (and higher) slots that may step down to x1 function

depending on slots chosen, other PCIe cards in the system, mb bios settings.

The Decklink SDI requires one PCIe x1 slot.

The Decklink Duo SDI requires one PCIe x4 slot.

The stepped upgrades are bit of a barrier to simply using one

DeckLink Quad SDI, which requires just one PCIe x4 slot.

Also, as a side question, has anyone had any luck reducing live source frame latency to the screen with blackburst sync from switching/camera control to the cap cards? We just got a new sync generator but we have not had the chance to test it out yet.

Thanks,

Ron a.k.a MediacoAB

No, providing a reference signal to the capture card will not reduce delay.

If anything, it adds to it ever so slightly, as the captured signal is 'shaken' to match reference.

• Dataton Partner

Question @ jfk

You mention "If anything, it adds to it ever so slightly, as the captured signal is 'shaken' to match reference."

But given the fact that the camera's CCU is using the same reference, am I right that though this addition of delay would not occur, it won't contribute to a lesser delay either? (No so theoretical effect at all?). What relation is there between the clock of the capturecard and that of the graphicscard? Any? Does either influence the other?

• 1 year later...

Normally, use the latest version, if you're not have any explicit reason for not to.

We do not verify any driver from third parties, WATCHOUT only requires them to

be installed, configured  and work properly in Windows.

Latest version at the moment is Desktop Video 9.8, can be found here:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DesktopVideo/Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Windows_9.8.zip

/jonas

I recently had the chance to install a Datapath E2 (x4 slot or higher) with a Decklink Studio (x1 slot) in a Gigabyte mobo for a client.

Initially, the 2 would not co-exist, Updated the BIOS, Datapath drivers (v6.10 to v7.5), and the Decklink driver to v9.8 solved the problem somewhat, but the 2nd Datapath input could not start and had a 'problem' as reported by Windows. This problem was eventually traced to a shared IRQ in each of the card's driver Resource tab. They were sharing IRQ 16 which probably caused the 2nd Datapath input to be non-functioning.

Since Win 7 does not allow the user to manually force an IRQ (unlike Win 98 and XP), the only solution was to use another slot, which happened to be a PCIe x8 slot. However, per manufacturer of the mobo, "when this x8 slot is populated, the x16 slot occupied by the graphics card, would drop to x8' (since the Z68 chipset only had 16 PCIe lanes available). We had no choice as the client wanted to use both cards in the one pc. But it solved the IRQ sharing problem with the Datapath occupying IRQ 17 after the slot change, and the 2nd Datapath input was shown (and tested) as working, as were all other capture inputs.

So check your motherboard manual for PCIe slot sharing and how each slot affects another. This becomes more critical if you are using a chipset other than the X79 (LGA 2011) which has 40 PCIe lanes versus 16 lanes for the other chipsets.

Thomas Leong

• 2 weeks later...