Dataton Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. The MP4 (H.264) format does not hold any information on transparency. Transcoding this to another format will not generate the extra byte needed for the transparency.
  3. MP4 (H.264) uses temporal and spatial compression and depending on the settings in the encoder can be compressed quite a lot. The back draw of this is that the CPU needs to buffer a lot of frames - even more if you compress B-frames as well - to recalculate the individual frames in real time. I've seen a 4K video compressed to less than 1 Mbit/s which then played back with 1-2 fps on a quite powerful server as a result. HAP is far less compressed and does not use any temporal compression to my knowledge.This makes it far easier for the server to render those files while the CPU is almost asleep. I'm not aware of any settings in ffmpeg to increase compression.
  4. Hi David Can you please lets us know if there's an update on the Watchpax 2 image for Audio Drivers support. If so, can you point me to the link to download it. Thanks
  5. Yesterday
  6. In fact I have already used audio input with RTSP. But maybe that's not officially supported? Best, Benoit
  7. audio has no impact on synch in WATCHOUT.
  8. jfk

NDI Audio input

Seeing as WATCHOUT does not support audio input in any form, I would not get my hopes up.Seems it may be a major thing to add a feature which currently does no exist.
  9. Can we make a mp4 video transparent by converting to hap alpha using ffmpeg?
  10. Hi , am using ffmpeg now to convert any .mp4 videos .. to .hap ... but file size seems to be very high.. is there any way i can reduce the output file size by compressing? if yes pls let me know how the command needs to be?
  11. Hi Guys Will Watchout ever support audio inputs via NDI? It would make my life super easy, thanks in advance
  12. Last week
  13. Hi all. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but interestingly I am experiencing the same issue on Watchout 6.4. When importing a video file encoded as HAP or proRes with embedded audio it is identified as an audio file (just like above). When I attempt to play it (to see what happens) it throws the same error described (QuickTime error: -2095 ). If I strip out the audio it plays happily. The audio is stream is 0, the video stream 1. When I use ffmpeg to swap the streams around (video stream 0, audio stream 1) it does recognise it as a video and play the video component but no audio (interestingly, it can see there's audio there as it has the Output Channel Assignment tab visible on this video. Does anyone know if the issue discussed above is a bug? I don't really have any problems with stripping audio into a different file, just on other some playback platforms I've used (QLAB) it is pretty crucial that the video has an embedded audio file to prevent sync drift between clips, so it's more a force of habit.
  14. Thanks, yep that's my go-to tool on the mac, nice and simple and works well! Would be nice if it just tied into FCPX though haha!
  15. I don't know whether it works on your OS-X version but I've installed AVF Batch Converter on my OS-X 10.10 and it exports all the formats I usually need including chunks for HAP files.
  16. Thanks all. I have experience with HAP and D3 and have consistently been impressed by it. I always find it a bit of a pain transcoding things to HAP on a mac from Final Cut/compressor. But if it's the clear winner than I should really start getting used to it!
  17. I would second the preference for HAP. It is very high quality and playback is much better than any other format I have tried. I will sometimes use ProRes, but that is generally in a "get it on the screen" mode when that is the format delivered. If you can do a minimal amount of planning, there are plug ins for Adobe to allow rendering directly to HAP. Once I started using HAP, I've never looked back.
  18. Through a lot of testing, and I'm still not done yet, I've found that the video codec to use is HAP across the board. Depending on your hardware you can get up to 16 4K 60 videos playing where as the other formats are all 10 and below. Prores is actually playing better these days as Dataton has been writing and in control of the decoder instead of purchasing it from a 3rd party vendor (most of the other codec are handled this way).
  19. FYI the issue with audio looping is now a confirmed bug. With the summer break in full swing it may be a little while before it is addressed, hopefully in the next update.
  20. I've not been under the impression prores was EVER recommended for watchout. Jonas posted a Media format guide ages ago that I thought was a sticky, but cant find it. I always thought the order was: MPEG2, H264, quicktime animation for transparency. Watching the forum, it seems people are having great success with HAP, though I haven't ventured into that world yet.
  21. I've never had much luck with audio looping - especially free running. When I've installed even clips that loop endlessly (think museum displays) I've found it more reliable to tie audio to video (even though it's not recommended), and then actually have the aux timeline loop rather than free run/loop. I've tried to stay away from doing anything like a seamless loop (or anything audio intensive) with watchout because I've never had great success. I'd love to know if anyone has any good tips/tricks.
  22. Hi all, I've done a few shows on Watchout and recently started conversation with a client to start on another show. By default I've always told the client that content needs to be ProRes 422. Recently I was thinking is that really still the best format for Watchout? Does anyone find they have a go-to format/codec for playback of simple 1080p video clips? This would be running on standard 1080p outputs from intel based PCs running Win10 pro, NVIDIA Quadro M4000 GPUs and all Watchout optimisations performed. The manual kind of lists every supported format but there's no real "We recommend X for the most stable playback". Happy to hear anyone's thoughts!
  23. actually,i already test for all monitor use the same edid,even unplug the pc's monitor to try(keep 5 pcs mctrl660 with same edid alone) and all outputs are green in the s400 sync setting panel but it shows tearing again. it's very freaky...anything i can try ? please tell me. by the way,when i setting up all pc's s400 sync setting,next step is open the watchpoint ,right? and the production pc need to check the main sync server in watchout then online , right? thanks Benoit.
  24. Hi Add, Thanks for the screenshots. My recommendation is to emulate the same EDID (NOVA HD CARD in your case) on all outputs. When Watchout start, it init a display for each active output. And when you have an output with a different scan rate, even if it’s not used in your project, I’ve already have glitch issue because Watchout try to sync the different outputs… Then, you should have the green mark on all outputs, meaning that every output is referenced on the same signal. Best, Benoit
  25. here is my setting(only show up two monitor because that is test) PC1 PC2
  26. Hi Add, Sorry but if you don't have any difference with and without S400 my guess is the S400 is not correctly configured. Can you post here some screenshots of the AMD menus? Benoit
  27. hi RBeddig thank you for your reply,but i tried to use 2pcs of mctrl660 and 2pcs of display computer and both of them's resolution is 1920x1080@60hz and setup to a led wall has 1920x1080 pixel one of mctrl660 control left 960*1080 led and another mctrl660 control right 960*1080 led to test the problem. no matter the s400 is enable or disable , the led screen is tearing. and i also tried to amd w600 , wx9100 with s400 / without s400 , problem still here.
  28. Am I right assuming that there is no cut between media files at the connection between LED 1, 2 and 3, i.e. the media is not split at this spot? What I would try is to use two outputs from one server and two outputs from the second server on ONE led first. Then you can see whether the outputs are framelocked between two servers. The difference is that all outputs would have the same orientation and resolution in this case. What hits my eye is that the centre led seems to have a different orientation, i.e. the screens here are rotated. Is this the case? This could be one reason for your problems since displays (led screens too) usually have some sort of scan direction.We've seen this often when rotating LCD or plasma displays by 90° where we had the same problem of small offsets. Led screens usually have much higher scan rates but it could still show a problem in fast movements. You could then check whether there is a difference if you use your outputs all in landscape orientation. Since the centre part is higher than 1080 or 1200, you'd need to tile your outputs with two rows of display. Secondly I would not use non-standard resolutions either. We have seen issues with NOVA controllers with source resolutions different from 1080p. Lastly we have been involved i a show recently where we used three outputs on three processors driving one big led wall. The outputs were synced with a S400 card and the AnalogWay Ascender in between us and the led display was also in sync. The led processors had a framelock function which was not set correctly and this led to very visible sync issues between the three processors. Once it was set correctly, the wall looked fine.
  1. Load more activity