Hello all, long time listener first time caller.
I am looking for some general hardware advice. I am about to upgrade my WO6 display machines with two new machines, and I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with a new build, and any do's or dont's they may have come across.
Also are there any resources or general guidelines around building a display machine from scratch. I realise it is a little bit "how long is a piece of string" but if anyone has any tips, or any recommended and / or tested configurations, I would be very glad to hear them. ( I also understand that Dataton and its recommended re sellers can provide tested hardware configurations, but budget, and the desire to learn more about the hardware, means a build-it-myself solution is the preference )
I am looking at something like the following:
- Gigabyte X299 AORUS Ultra MB + Intel i7 7820X
- GPU with 4 matching ports ( AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 )
- GPU with mix of ports ( one of the many GTX 1080Ti options, which is my preference. )
- 500gb NVMe M.2 data drive ( Samsung 960 Pro )
- 256gb 2.5" SSD OS drive ( Samsung 850 Pro)
- 32gb RAM ( 4 x 8gb, 3000mhz )
- Windows Pro 7 or 10
plus 850w PSU and rack mount case.
Some general questions:
- is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and WO6 stable, or if I should stick to Win7 ?
- are there any suggested non-RAID backup methods for the data drive ? ( having read other forums regarding the negative impact of RAID controllers on SSD speeds )
- are there any sync or latency issues with outputs on different port types ( ie mixing DP with HDMI )
Thanks in advance, any and all advice and suggestions appreciated.